Windows 2003 server to Linux alternative!

J

Jeff Dvo

I'm looking to replace my Windows 2003 server with a Linux alternative. I was thinking about Ubuntu server but wondered if there was a better option?

My current set up is:-
Internet Gateway = VirginMedia Cable modem/router with (Ext) WiFi for Guest Internet access (Mainly phones/tablets.)

LAN.

Linux Smoothwall on DMZ of VM Router.(DHCP server for LAN)
16 port switch

Windows 2003 server (Domain Controller, DNS, File & Print)
`Drive C, mirrored
`Separate 1TB data hd (for net shares)
`Ext 1TB HD for backups

PCs
XP Pro (going to upgrade to Win 7 Pro)
Win 7 Pro Laptop
Win 8.1 Pro Laptop
Win 8.1 Pro Desktop
Ubuntu - Laptop occasional use on LAN
Android tablet - occasional use on LAN

Other

WiFi access point for LAN
Print server
iPad-Air (uses either WiFi)

The Windows boxes backup to the 2003 server every day.(using Robcopy)
The 2003 server backs up to the ext USB HD every night. (using Robcopy)

AIM.

Replace the Win 2003 server with a Linux option.
Prefer to retain a DC function but not essential.
Prefer to retain DNS server function.

Essential that net shares can be reliably accessed from all Windows boxes.

Print server not really needed as have a stand-alone one.

Server hardware.

Fujitsi Econnel 200 S (?) (dual core 3GB CPU, 1 GB Ram (supports upto 8GB)

Any suggestions or advice gratefully appreciated .

Jeff D

Any server distribution will work fine. Since you already have an Ubuntu system on your network you may want to go ahead with Ubuntu server. The other Server distros I usually recommend are CentOS and Fedora Server. Both are Red Hat based.

As for Windows access, SAMBA is designed for that purpose.

DNS can be setup using Bind.

Backup can be done in many ways. Copy on write with BTRFS, direct copy with dd or rsync...

You can manage your server with Puppet or Chef.

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan, I hadn't thought of using CentOS. I'll checkout Puppet and Chef.

Hi Jeff,
It's true, any distribution would be fine. Personally, I can also recommend Univention Corporate Server (UCS) which can do all of what you ask for:
  • Replace the Win 2003 server with a Linux option
  • Prefer to retain a DC function but not essential
  • Prefer to retain DNS server function.
It has very powerful Active Directory functions having integrated Samba 4 and the integrated management system makes it very easy to migrate and manage the whole domain. Last week, UCS 4.0-1 was released. You can test and use it for free on a private basis with up to 50 clients/users. You can find more about UCS also here on this website in the "Resources" section.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I decided to go for CentOS 7 due to it's robustness and reliability. I got DNS (Bind) working fairly easily and Samba wasn't too bad but gave me a few headaches as I kept getting permissions related errors when using Robocopy to back up my Windows boxes. I mounted an extra 1 TB "data" disk (ntfs) faffed around with perms and finally got Robocopy working. I've only created one Samba "public" share and have used Net Use on the Windows boxes to map some folders as drives. Accessing the net shares is lightning fast. Its all running sweetly now but there has been a bit of hair pulling and swearing :)
Next on the list is to add a 1TB USB drive to backup the Data drive. I had intended using rsync but apparently that might not be the best option for doing daily incremental backups, as I did using Robocopy with the MIR option, so I'm looking at other options.

Still a lot to learn and easing into the CLI mentality by using Putty, WinSCP and WebMin.

This thread could probably be closed now?

Members online

Latest posts