WiFi Connection

Steve S.

Reaction score
Credits
Installed Linux Mint today... Can't do much since it can't find my WiFi connection. How do I set it up?

which desktop GUI?

You likely have a "network settings" application somewhere, depending on which desktop you run.
If you just run a console, we can do that also.

Which Linux Mint version and desktop environment did you install?

if it recognises your wifi card, in bottom right tray there is a small icon, just click on it to see available wifi ssid, i've been playing with Mint 19.3 and Mint 20 Cinammon, xfce live from usb all recognised my card

I'm using Cinnamon. Driver Manager indicated I needed to download a particular Realtec Wireless adapter. Since I can't access internet without it, I can't download it. I'm using a brand new HP laptop which worked fine under Windows 10, but lost the connection when I installed Linux. Right now I'm using my old Dell lap top with Windows 10: Should I look for the required adapter on this PC and USB it to the new one?

I'm using Cinnamon. Driver Manager indicated I needed to download a particular Realtec Wireless adapter. Since I can't access internet without it, I can't download it. I'm using a brand new HP laptop which worked fine under Windows 10, but lost the connection when I installed Linux. Right now I'm using my old Dell lap top with Windows 10: Should I look for the required adapter on this PC and USB it to the new one?
Connect your laptop via an ethernet connection or USB tethering. Then install the driver for your adapter through the Driver Manager.

Established the ethernet connection, but download failed on several attempts.

I need to start being productive: What are steps for uninstalling Linux so I can reinstall Windows?

If you could share what output or errors you got when you tried installing the drivers through the driver manager or share a screenshot of what you see. That we could try and help solve your problem, if you want to install Windows you will have to download the Windows iso and copy that iso to a usb drive so that you can boot from it and install Windows again.

If you could share what output or errors you got when you tried installing the drivers through the driver manager or share a screenshot of what you see. That we could try and help solve your problem, if you want to install Windows you will have to download the Windows iso and copy that iso to a usb drive so that you can boot from it and install Windows again.
The errors relate to "No WiFi connection" despite using ethernet connection. I have the Windows recovery flash drive. I just can't find where I can boot from it.

The errors relate to "No WiFi connection" despite using ethernet connection. I have the Windows recovery flash drive. I just can't find where I can boot from it.
If you didn't have a wifi connection but had a LAN connection since you plugged in the ethernet cable that shouldn't have been a problem. Since it was a problem you could have tried disabling your wifi network connection in networkmanager, and then tried again. If you want to boot from your flash drive, have to go into the bios/uefi and select that flash drive as your primary boot device. Some systems have a shortcut key that you can use to select which device you want to boot from, it's usually one of the F keys. In most cases F8, F9 or F10, otherwise you can get into the bios/uefi by using either the del, F2 or F12 key.

Last edited:
Some systems have a shortcut key that you can use to select which device you want to boot from, it's usually one of the F keys. In most cases F8, F9 or F10, otherwise you can get into the bios/uefi by using either the del, F2 or F12 key.

Members online