Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Why should I use Arch?

Discussion in 'Arch' started by Rob, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Videodrome

Videodrome Guest

Debian or Slack?

2. pane-free

pane-free Guest

Both.
    Am currently running HandyLinux and Absolute
    (obviously, I am not a purist).

@Donald W Grimes -- the documentation at aptosid (once sidux) is also what makes this Debian 'Unstable' distro what it is -- try it out!

3. conga007

conga007 Guest

Arch linux is base in CRUX people keep that in mind

4. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

I like your Signature..... :)

5. LinucNerd

LinucNerd Guest

I have heard that Arch does not come with a graphical desktop, text only... Is that true?

6. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Not according to ryanvade..... :) Plus, I think I've seen Spatry do a review of it on YouTube..... :D

7. chimichurri

chimichurri Guest

8. ZZs

ZZs Guest

No, The installation is done from the command line and takes a little reading to complete the first time. Arch supports the most DE's (desktop environments) that I came across in a distro, either officially supported or unofficially supported, not to say they have more or the most than others. Unofficially would mean the package is not precompiled in the Arch database and that you would need to download the package (script like form) from the AUR that would download the source and compile it locally.

Arch has many pros and even a few cons BUT don't chose it as your first distro.

Happy Linux'ing!