Why is Grub displaying on my monitor?

Roboto132

Reaction score
Credits
2 days ago I went into bios in hopes of making my pc fans quieter. I clicked save and exit and it displayed “Grub” with a flickering underscore. I can't use my keyboard to type in cmds to fix it. It's been like this since.

G'day Roboto132, Welcome to Linux.org

Which OS are you running....which version..?

What did you change in BIOS?

Did you save any changes in bios?

2 days ago I went into bios in hopes of making my pc fans quieter. I clicked save and exit and it displayed “Grub” with a flickering underscore. I can't use my keyboard to type in cmds to fix it. It's been like this since.
The reason you have been sent the grub prompt: grub>, is because the grub bootloader has not been able to find all the information it needs to load the kernel. Have a look here:
to see how to proceed to try and have your system boot.

G'day Roboto132, Welcome to Linux.org

Which OS are you running....which version..?

What did you change in BIOS?

Did you save any changes in bios?
I'm currently running: Windows 10 pro

I changed my fan speeds so it would run more quiet

I save the changes I did to my fans

Follow @osprey's link in the post above yours, please.

Reset BIOS settings
• Turn off your computer.
• Locate the CMOS battery on your motherboard and remove it for a few seconds. This will reset your BIOS settings.
• Put the CMOS battery back in and turn on your computer.

Repair Grub
• Boot from a live Linux USB as mentioned above.
• Open a terminal and run commands to reinstall and update Grub. For example, in Ubuntu-based systems, you might use commands like:
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
sudo update-grub
• Replace /dev/sdX with your actual boot drive.

Reinstall the operating system
• If all else fails, you might need to reinstall your operating system. Make sure to back up your important data before doing this.

@Roboto132, more information would help.
Is the machine dual booting?
What is the distro and version, as asked in post #2?
Can you enter the UEFI/BIOS on a new boot?
Can you access a boot menu?

I assume the machine is a desktop PC. It may be possible to reset the UEFI/BIOS to defaults by entering it on a new boot. There are things to try before having to re-install grub as mentioned in post #7, though it may be needed in the end, but at this point, it's an unkown.

I'm currently running: Windows 10 pro

I changed my fan speeds so it would run more quiet

I save the changes I did to my fans

You do realise this is a Linux Forum.
t1822.gif

Can't you reverse the changes ?
t1848.gif

Members online