Why i should not use SSD disk on webserver?

P

postcd

Hello,

a Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb (consumer grade)

why i should NOT use it on the server used for webhosting with intensive on disk usage?

Currently there is 7000rpm disk with
Average writing: 2Mb/s
Average reading: 2Mb/s

the iostat shows usually 99-100% utilization, "top" command shows around 10 %wa value.

Here is proven that Samsung 840 Evo can alive 3000 writing cycles and 700Tb data writen: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/417...-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013
By 2Mb/s writing rate, i write around 60Tb data yearly....

I want to ask why using SSD on this webserver would be bad idea. Would your oppinion change if i use 3 x 120gb SSD, hardware raid with 512Mb cache, raid 5 -
Capacity240 GB
Speed gain2x read speed, no write speed gain
Fault tolerance1-drive failure

thank you

Is your "intensive disk usage" reading or writing? Keep in mind that SSDs have limited (for some definition of limited, could be high) write capacity before you burn them out. If you're primarily reading, it shouldn't be an issue.

This really depends.

1. If you're running a HEAVY database website with lots and lots of reads, go SSD.
2. If you're running a HEAVY database website with lots of writes, don't go SSD.
3. If you're just running static HTML websites, go SSD.
4. If you're running a shared hosting environment, don't go SSD (UNLESS you're 100% sure that there won't be a lot of writing to the drive).

You could alternatively have an SSD and a standard HDD where your HTML files are stored on SSD, and your /tmp partition could be on your SSD.

I've seen similar writes with both SSD and HDD, but it all comes down to configuration. Faster is always better. Do benchmarking and see what works best.

Tests and examples will always be nice, but doing your own benchmarking will ensure you know what you're working with.

Members online