Why Can't anyone open a tunnel and access the remote server?

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
Currently in my company, we're using VPN->Then RDP. And inside RDP, we access remote server. While some servers are directly accessible, some are not. We need to do tunneling for it. I'm failing to understand the point of tunneling. I've read articles after articles like this(https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/virtualpg/wiki?name=port-forwarding), but it's not entering my head.
Can't anyone who knows the server IP and has company VPN; tunnel and get access to that server? I know they can, but what's the point of that tunnel? They could've just filtered by requests coming via a particular IP say xx.xx.xx.xx to be allowed and reject everything else. What's the point of tunneling?

What's the problem that tunneling is trying to solve?

Last edited:

In networking, tunnels are a method for transporting data across a network using protocols that are not supported by that network. Tunneling works by (encapsulating) wrapping packets inside of other packets basically. Packets are small pieces of data that can be re-assembled at their destination into a larger file.

All packets use networking protocols — standardized ways of formatting data — to get to their destinations. However, not all networks support all protocols. Imagine a company wants to set up a wide area network (WAN) connecting Office A and Office B. The company uses the IPv6 protocol, which is the latest version of the Internet Protocol (IP), but there is a network between Office A and Office B that only supports IPv4. By encapsulating their IPv6 packets inside IPv4 packets (tunnel), the company can continue to use IPv6 while still sending data directly between the offices.

This is a question you should be asking your company, we're not mindreaders. Tunneling generally solves the problem of not being able to network otherwise.

It's easy to look at an existing infrastructure as and outsider and laugh, but as it tends to get built in stages there are always deficient points. Doesn't mean it's not functional, but large corporations rarely do anything quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online