Which router would you recommend to accommodate Linux?

Reaction score
Credits
I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R7350 (AC2400) router a year ago, as it stated on the box that it supported Linux. I figured to try it out once I felt comfortable enough to take the plunge - which I started a few months ago.

Unfortunately, even though it is stated to support Linux on the box, their support maintains that not all of the features (like establishing a VPN with OpenVPN from my Debian laptop to the router) is expressly supported for Linux. Basically, while the router provides OpenVPN files for Windows, Android, and Mac systems, there is no support for Linux based systems (which I mentioned in a previous thread).

So, I am trying to set up workarounds like port forwarding/triggering to establish connectivity, with OpenIP, a dynamic DNS service.

While I am working on solving that problem, I would like to know: what out-of-the-box routers do you use (or recommend using) for your Linux systems to connect back to your home network? (I may be experimenting with setting up a PC to act as a Linux router - but that will be a future project.)

Last edited:

I am a bit confused. the router does not have to support anything other than TCP/IP. the operating system is not in any way a factor to a router functioning. Now it may have setup programs that only run on certain systems but the router once set up will and should support anything regardless of the OS.
I use a variety of trendnet for cheap installs and Cisco or Juniper for more expensive powerful installs. I have never had the operating system make a difference.
More than likely the router company put that info on the box because most people do not understand what a router is much less how it works so they put that it works with various OS's much like how they put warning labels on hair dryers that you should not use while in shower.
If you want a good router then pay $800 or more for a good cisco and learn how to program it. Or I have great luck with trendnet routers and skip the software just use the web interface.
But bottom line is that you do not need a router compatible with linux, you need a router that works. The OS is not relevant.

I also use the one provided by my ISP, [I hapen to know it was made by Technicolour]

back in the day when i has to buy my own. I used to use netgear [back then they were easier to repair.

I've always used the ISPs Modem because it's free and if something happens I get another one.
m1212.gif

Years ago you got a free Modem but you had to buy a Router but now they're all in one...so you have two firewalls.
m1211.gif

I never allow the ISP to give me a router. I want control over my stuff and not have to call them everytime I need something. I also do not feel the need to pay extra (yes you usually pay $10 per month for that free router) for something that I can pay one time $60 and own it.

I never allow the ISP to give me a router. I want control over my stuff and not have to call them everytime I need something. I also do not feel the need to pay extra (yes you usually pay $10 per month for that free router) for something that I can pay one time $60 and own it.

I have no doubt what you say is true...nothing is free however we have a landline and the ISPs Modem has a connection for it.

About a year ago I wanted my own Modem but all the Modems I looked at didn't have a landline connection...even took the Modem with me but shop staff just gave me a stupid look.
m09004.gif

Don't use the landline much these days but it comes in handy sometimes for the scammers and charities to give me a laugh when they ring.
m0103.gif

There is a difference between the modem and router. 2 totally different pieces of equipment. The modem is best to use the one from phone company. The router is something different and that is what they usually charge extra for providing. You don't normally see it because it is called something like "Managed wifi" or some other PC term. Trust me you are paying extra for it.

However the original post was about routers compatible with linux and I think we are off topic now.

I am a bit confused. the router does not have to support anything other than TCP/IP. the operating system is not in any way a factor to a router functioning. Now it may have setup programs that only run on certain systems but the router once set up will and should support anything regardless of the OS.
I use a variety of trendnet for cheap installs and Cisco or Juniper for more expensive powerful installs. I have never had the operating system make a difference.
More than likely the router company put that info on the box because most people do not understand what a router is much less how it works so they put that it works with various OS's much like how they put warning labels on hair dryers that you should not use while in shower.
If you want a good router then pay $800 or more for a good cisco and learn how to program it. Or I have great luck with trendnet routers and skip the software just use the web interface.
But bottom line is that you do not need a router compatible with linux, you need a router that works. The OS is not relevant.
Sorry for the late response, as I just got off work!

I am just wanting recommendations on store-bought routers that fully support Linux computers (in that all the router's features are available to Linux computers connecting to it. The Netgear router that I purchased does allow traffic to be sent/received from my Debian 12 laptop - but, it doesn't support Linux systems when attempting to set up an OpenVPN connection to the router (however, said router does generate OpenVPN files for Windows systems, Android systems, and Mac systems [which they list as "non-Windows" systems]).

Sorry for the late response, as I just got off work!

I am just wanting recommendations on store-bought routers that fully support Linux computers (in that all the router's features are available to Linux computers connecting to it. The Netgear router that I purchased does allow traffic to be sent/received from my Debian 12 laptop - but, it doesn't support Linux systems when attempting to set up an OpenVPN connection to the router (however, said router does generate OpenVPN files for Windows systems, Android systems, and Mac systems [which they list as "non-Windows" systems]).
As I said. there is no such thing as router support for any operating system.
Not sure what you mean by the router generating files for openvpn. I have never seen a router generate any file other than a log file. The router simply passes traffic from one place to another and it really doesn't care much about what the traffic is nor what made it. So what do you mean by the router generating files for openvpn? what files?

Slightly off topic, but purely for purposes of accuracy -

@APTI

Trust me you are paying extra for it.

You can't really say that when @bob466 and I are from Australia. Different business models, different ISPs.

Also, we get our broadband from NBN - our National Broadcasting Network, which wholesales to our ISPs.

@Priest_Apostate - I use a Netcomm Cloudmesh NF18ACV - AUD$149.00 / Once Off

That was in June 2020.

I have run it 24/7 since and it has not ever failed me.

HTH

Wizard

Where I am from you don't pay extra for the router your ISP loans you. However I have my ISP router set in bridge mode and use a miniPC installed with OPNsense(an opensource project based on FreeBSD) as my router.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but purely for purposes of accuracy -

@APTI

You can't really say that when @bob466 and I are from Australia. Different business models, different ISPs.

Also, we get our broadband from NBN - our National Broadcasting Network, which wholesales to our ISPs.

@Priest_Apostate - I use a Netcomm Cloudmesh NF18ACV - AUD$149.00 / Once Off

That was in June 2020.

I have run it 24/7 since and it has not ever failed me.

HTH

Wizard
very true, your people might not be as consumed for screwing customers as in the US.

Members online