Which distro for Toshiba laptop with Intel I5 + 8GB RAM?

CAButters2

Reaction score
Credits
Looking for advice on which one to download....
Currently running Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.40GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
On a refurb Toshiba laptop which here lately has been behaving....ugh! SLOWLY!
So was going to reboot and remembered I learned about Linux at MyComputerCareer and thought to give one a try. I was told that this OS was for people who like to tinker and make things their own.

Was thinking Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, etc..?

You can only get Red Hat for a brief trial... then must pay a subscription to them. So, that rarely happens among the general Linux population (businesses buy into that). Fedora is basically the testing ground for Red Hat... it is very popular and a solid distro for you to try in the RPM family (RPM = RedHat Package Management). If you are interested in a server instead of a desktop system, then CentOS would be a good Red Hat equivalent.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, and so it uses the DEB package management system. Package management is the method by which you will install and update software on your system. DEB and RPM are the two most common, but there are others too. Ubuntu comes in many "flavors"... the standard (Gnome desktop), Kubuntu (KDE Desktop), Xubuntu (XFCE Desktop), Lubuntu (LXDE/LXQt Desktop), Ubuntu MATE (MATE Desktop), and several others. They are all Ubuntu under the hood... but the different desktops give you a different "look and feel" with which you interact with the operating system. Some you may like, and some you may hate.

Debian begat Ubuntu, and Ubuntu begat Linux Mint... and Linux Lite... and LXLE... and Peppermint OS... and Zorin OS.... and a host of other offspring. These might be said to be in the same "Ubuntu family"... yet they each offer you different desktop choices, and also each is somewhat different "under the hood" than the others. Here again, you can get Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, MATE, and several other choices.

If you had asked me, "Which car should I buy? Ford? Chevy? Chrysler?" My answer would be something like, "Well, I don't know what you would like.... so I think you should take each one for a test drive before you make a final decision." And so it is with Linux also! :D

You can "test drive" Linux by installing each of those you're interested in on a USB (using special tools so that it will boot your computer) and then you can boot and run it to see how you like each one.... the different distros, and the different desktops. You can also install VirtualBox (a free program from Oracle) in your Windows 10 and then you can install the different Linux versions in it as a "virtual machine." These are the usual ways to get started with Linux.

When you've picked something you really like, you can either split your hard drive so that you can run both Windows and Linux side by side (though not at the same time like with VirtualBox).... or you can erase Windows entirely and install Linux. "Dual booting" between Windows and Linux usually goes pretty well, but there can be problems so you should always backup your important data before beginning. Installing a new operating system (not just in VirtualBox) is not as trivial as installing an app in Windows.... if you make serious mistakes, you could end up with a computer that doesn't boot. You can get it back, but you may lose data, so you want to take this process very seriously.

OK, my personal short list to try (others will give you different opinions)....

Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon or MATE desktops... personally I like MATE, but Cinnamon is a bit "prettier")
Ubuntu 18.04 MATE desktop
Fedora 28 MATE or LXDE desktop

I pick these three because I think each of them will install on your system without needing to go into your BIOS/UEFI settings and making any changes there. Starting with Windows 8, computer's enabled a new thing called "Secure Boot" which needed the old BIOS systems to be upgraded to newer UEFI (these are just chips on the motherboard). Linux is still in the process of catching up with these changes, and so not all of them will work with UEFI and Secure Boot. If you are interested in other Linux distros, you will likely have to make changes to UEFI. These changes aren't hard to do, but you need to be aware of them in case you have trouble with some Linux distro and does not install properly or will not boot.

Always download 64-bit Linux .iso files. Before installing (to USB or DVD or hard drive).... you should "verify the checksum" of the downloaded .iso file. Verifying the checksum ensures that your download was complete and uncorrupted. You don't want to try to install a corrupted operating system, right? Anyway, I'll save that lesson for later, or let someone else explain it to you.

That's enough from me for the first round. By the way.... Welcome to the forums! :D:D

Cheers

Hi @CAButters2 and welcome to linux.org :)

What size is the HDD on that baby eg 500 GB, 1 TB? And do you have a Model number available?

I have a Toshiba Satellite S70-A, and it too, is refurbished.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for that :).

So we basically have a drive with a capacity close to 1TB, that's a good size.

Can you use your Windows Snipping Tool to take a couple of pics and post them up here, or give us the information?

I'll show you what I am looking for, with these pix from my Win 10.

4GDjWcY.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - FROM DISK MANAGEMENT

Here, I have accessed Disk Management (right-click your Start Menu), and in the bottom half of the left side, I can right-click the square that says Disk 0 or the one that says Disk 1, and choose Properties.

UHE3wHr.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - ALSO FROM DISK MANAGEMENT

That then shows me that my Partition style is the GUID Partition Table or GPT. Yours may say MS-DOS.

60VaXho.png

SCREENSHOT 3 - SYSTEM INFORMATION - SUMMARY

From this image (Start Menu - start typing System Information), in it summary I can see both my System Manufacturer and Model Number, and highlighted, that I am using UEFI, if not UEFI, it will likely say Legacy.

If you take pictures, you can either provide them as attachments, or else join an image hosting site (free) such as Imgur, Photobucket, TinyPic &c and provide the same functionality as I have used above.

With this information, we can get a clearer picture for helping you to choose how to install.

You could also think about whether you want to dualboot Win 10 with Linux, or to bulldoze the Windozer and just run Linux.

Cheers

Wizard

OK so for future reference you have a Toshiba Tecra C50-C laptop, and it is UEFI-GPT. That is legend :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over his enthusiasm, doesn't quite sprain his ankle)

Thanks for those screenshots, they are worth their weight in gold for us to easily appraise your environment.

I have a couple of chores to perform and then I'll be back on my Dell that has Windows on it, and which I am populating with Linuxes.

Cheers

Wizard

Looking for advice on which one to download....
Currently running Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.40GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
On a refurb Toshiba laptop which here lately has been behaving....ugh! SLOWLY!
So was going to reboot and remembered I learned about Linux at MyComputerCareer and thought to give one a try. I was told that this OS was for people who like to tinker and make things their own.

Was thinking Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, etc..?

Hello CAButters2, from the bayou's of south Louisiana! And welcome to Linux.org, and your journey into the world of Linux!
With the specs you have on the Toshiba you can run just about any modern flavor of Linux you want. If I were you I'd follow atanere's advice and try as many Distros that attract your attention. You can do this, as he said, by downloading the .iso file and then burn it to either a thumb drive or a dvd. If you have a functional dvd burner I'd go the dvd route as it's much cheaper. You should see my pile of Linux distro dvds!

A good place to read brief descriptions of the distros, and get the links to the downloads, is www.distrowatch.com. Once you made your dvd/thumb drive you can live boot these distros and try them without installing them. Once you decide whether you are a "Ford, Chevy, or Dodge man", you can select the install from the dvd/thumbdrive you made. If you decide you want to dual boot, which I highly recommend, there are a couple ways to achieve this. One is to let the Linux install file do an "alongside" install, and it will do it for you and give you a Grub boot menu that will boot either OS. Then there is a way to dual boot that uses both the MBR (Windows Master Boot Record) and Grub. I use this. It's main advantage is a windows update to the MBR won't mess with your Linux install, and a Linux update to Grub won't mess with your windows install.

Keep us posted on your testing and your ultimate selection!

Members online