When you find out that you're working with someone who's on another level, and how they can affect on your life years later.

Dart

Reaction score
Credits
Back in '89, I had just moved in to my current house and started a job working in the aerospace industry. I was a machinist and ran a 5-axis CNC milling machine that cut jet engine nacelle forming tools and many other 3d forms and fixtures.

Here's where the command Line comes in. ;)
One day, not too long after settling in, one of the guys from IT was working on the terminal that we used to access the mill's programs. I needed a program so I went into the terminal office to get it, we started talking, introductions etc... It was then that I noticed that both his hands were rising from and falling back to the keyboard at the same time. Each time a new couple of lines showed up on the monitor. Just a constant bouncing motion. I'd never seen anyone type like that before. What really amazed me was, he was doing this while carrying on our conversation! These weren't random strings of random gobbledy gook, he was writing a shell script! A good bit of the time he didn't even look at the monitor. What was really impressive was... he ran the program right after he wrote it!

Eventually, I had moved from machinist to CNC programmer. I learned a LOT from him and the others in IT. The coolest thing of this whole story is, we had both left the company at different times, for different reasons. Not long after leaving, I transferred from machinist to IT. A year or two down the road, somehow, he got my cell number, and called me while I was at work. He asked me something about transferring a tape from one media to another. Sadly, I could not help him. However... always the smart aleck, I flippantly ask him... When you gonna get me a job at your place? Much to my surprise, he said, "I'm leaving here in two weeks, do you want my job?" I started there in 1994, and still work there today!

People can be on other levels in many ways. This man was, and I'm sure still is.

The missus finds it disturbing so I stopped doing it when talking to her, but I can type while carrying on a conversation about a completely different subject and while not paying any attention to the monitor. She finds it impersonal, so I stop typing when we talk.

The missus finds it disturbing so I stopped doing it when talking to her, but I can type while carrying on a conversation about a completely different subject and while not paying any attention to the monitor. She finds it impersonal, so I stop typing when we talk.
Probably a good idea! At least safer. :D

Always look after the Cheese and Kisses (missus)

Wiz - nice read, Dart ;)

Members online

Latest posts