What if Linux could use voice commands through a mic on your PC?

Evertag

Reaction score
Credits
"Hey Linux, play 10 worst films of 2012 on youtube!" or "Hey Linux, install Spotify and get updates". Wouldn't it be cool if personal computers caught up to where phones are at today with computing voice commands? All we would need is a mic and a mic to Linux interface and all of a sudden the doors open wide. It's like Alexa, except with a big screen and even more options. Any takers or thoughts?

I installed Simon and configure it and I hopeful that it would work.
It recognized the Logitech headphone with a mic that I purchase so that was good.
Training mode worked well too.

After 2-3 months of trying to understand error messages and searching for answers I still couldn't get it to work so I hung it up.
That was about 2 years ago so maybe things are different now?

There are other voice recognition programs for Linux if you want to take a look here:

It's the translation between what you envision in your head, when you speak some words, and the actual actions the computer would take based on its programming. And that translation is possible, but it is also very difficult for other than specific purpose computing devices. Not impossible, just hard.

There may be some day when I will need to have an Alexa that will turn off lights, or change the channel on the entertainment center, cook my supper and bring it to me. But that's not going to happen until my old legs can no longer move, and my slightly crooked fingers can no longer grip.

Members online