Wanting to install a plugin for Gimp

Danbor

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all. I don't know if anyone here can help, but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.
Ok, here's my situation. I'm running Mint 21.3. I have Gimp 2.10.30 installed. It is NOT installed as a flatpack. In fact, I don't have any flatpack packages installed.
The course I am taking on how to use Gimp has finally gotten to the only thing I want to use Gimp for. And that is restoring old photographs. Now my quandary, The course instructor is telling the students that for best results we need to install a plugin called Resynthasizer.
I've found a few search results on how to install a plugin to Gimp, ( though I haven't went in depth on that subject yet ). However, I have found only two ways to obtain the plugin. One, a flatpack on Github. And two, a zip file on a site named MediaFire.com that the instructor pointed us too. The zipfile is labeled as windows but the description says it's compatible with Linux.
So, the question is, what do I do now?
Since Gimp is not installed as a flatpack, can I use the flatpack plugin? If so, how do I download and install the thing from Github? I can barely navigate the Github website let alone download from it, and not a clue what is involved with getting the plugin from Github, then out of the flatpack and into Gimp.
Or, should I download the zipfile, extract it and figure out how to install the extracted plugin into Gimp?
Anyone else been down this road lately?

Hi! Danbor

If it were my cup of tea I would stay clear of the flatpack plugin.

This looks like the download for resynthasizer from Git Hub.

Download the zip file from Git Hub. It will be

Here's the instructions on how to install the resynthesizer plugin for Gimp.

Attachments

• Install File.png
    Install File.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the help Alexzee. The Github site is a bit confusing to me, just not used to the format.
I managed to unzip the plugin and get it installed but it doesn't work. None of the tools show up in any of the menus.
From what I read, there are some python 2 dependencies needed that aren't available in the later versions of Mint.
Of course, there is also a strong possibility that I borked the install somehow.
I've been to a few Gimp user groups but so far I haven;t been able to find any useful info on the subject.

Thanks for the help Alexzee. The Github site is a bit confusing to me, just not used to the format.
I managed to unzip the plugin and get it installed but it doesn't work. None of the tools show up in any of the menus.
From what I read, there are some python 2 dependencies needed that aren't available in the later versions of Mint.
Of course, there is also a strong possibility that I borked the install somehow.
I've been to a few Gimp user groups but so far I haven;t been able to find any useful info on the subject.
You're welcome.

If the plugin isn't working and dependencies are needed that makes sense why it's not working.
You'll want to satisfy those dependencies first before proceeding any further.

Go to Edit> Preferences and go to the very end of the listing in the left panel of Gimp that says "Folders"
Click on the arrow next to the "Folders" directory and look in the drop down menu for "Plug-Ins".

You should see the path like shown here:

Once your in the Plug-In's directory navigate to the plug-ins directory and paste the unzipped file here. The Plug-ins script files have the ".py" extension.

Then restart Gimp.

Members online

Latest posts