Wanting to broaden my horizons

yoda2023

Reaction score
Credits
Good afternoon all, I'm wanting some oppinions on what the best programming language to learn.

I've done some visual basic 6.0 programming just after the dawn of time.

While I love the bash cli I've wanted to expand my skills which led me to bash scripting.

I've written a few scripts to automate some of the more common repetitive tasks like removing files and comparing two lists for duplicate files.

I'm now looking for a programming language to learn that will allow me to build a GUI for thouse lazy days.

I don't mind re working my scripts into the new language and I've got plenty of time on my hands and the final product should be able to be deployed as a deb package as I'm running Ubuntu based distros and so are my friends.

Please give me your advice thoughts and feelings in this.

Kind regards,
Yoda (mark)

Ugh... This is going to be a nugget. It's a lot like, "Which distro is best?" (The answer is, the one that works best for you and your goals.)

So, the first question would be, "What are your end goals?" Then, find the language that most likely helps you reach those goals by examining their strengths and weaknesses.

But, the real answer is probably just "Python".

If I were to pick up a language right now, I'd aim for Python.

Maybe Java... There's a buttload of Java out there. But, Python would be my suggestion.

Though, if you want to work on the kernel, you might start looking at Rust.

Of course, you have the lower level C-type languages. But, yeah, I'd look at Python if it were me and I had the time to do so.

Ugh... This is going to be a nugget. It's a lot like, "Which distro is best?" (The answer is, the one that works best for you and your goals.)

So, the first question would be, "What are your end goals?" Then, find the language that most likely helps you reach those goals by examining their strengths and weaknesses.

But, the real answer is probably just "Python".

If I were to pick up a language right now, I'd aim for Python.

Maybe Java... There's a buttload of Java out there. But, Python would be my suggestion.

Though, if you want to work on the kernel, you might start looking at Rust.

Of course, you have the lower level C-type languages. But, yeah, I'd look at Python if it were me and I had the time to do so.
To be honest I've just left work due to health reasons so I have plenty of time on my hands.

A few projects I have on the go at the moment are as follows.

Compare two lists for duplicate entries,
Remove files from multiple folders and
Generating files for users with set and dynamic content.

I've thought about python but I've wondered if it is suitable for my needs and the ability to create a custom GUI would help

I've thought about python but I've wondered if it is suitable for my needs and the ability to create a custom GUI would help

This is where I'll let others jump in, but the answer is always Python these days (from what I read).

While I've done a great deal of programming, it has been a long time and I was never good at it. I was so bad at it, and needed so much of it, that I ended up hiring people to do my programming for me. They were much, much better than I was.

Hi all sorry for the late reply, had a few technical issues to work out with my health and things.

I should give you some more information on what I'm looking to do.

I have found a home in bash scripting but it can be a pain in the neck when it comes to gui and things.

I have a script for removing unwanted jpgs and srt files for example and generating XML config files for my Kodi setup to connect to my media server.

I'm looking for something like python and bash but is also gui friendly

Java? That might be the most GUI friendly.
You can use Eclipse as your IDE

Java? That might be the most GUI friendly.
You can use Eclipse as your IDE
I never really considered java, I heard it can get a bit complicated and I guess I never really thought it capable of what Im looking for, with that said do you have any links for tutorials and such

Members online

Latest posts