Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
My first gainfully employed commuter job was simple

enter few machine codes via buttons and watch lights
execute the entered code and read paper tape into the box
install "assembler " - again on paper tape
use TTY and start coding my program in machine language ..

OK, I like to learn how "modern" boxes handle stuff like

sudo apt install whatever_program

I know little abut "make" "repository" - but that is about it.

I am looking for concept , not for "type this - and watch for smoke " instructions.

Let' KISS .
Shall we?

Let's assume aptitude as you are using aptitude terminology. There are many package managers, if you're curious.

apt installinstalls softtware
apt updateupdates the database of software versions
apt upgradeapplies upgrade according to dattabase

So, if you want to install software, it's:

Code:
sudo apt install <software>

That checks the database of files available in your repositories and installs the software if it exists.

If you want to update that database to know if newer versions are available:

Code:
sudo apt update

Then, to apply the upgrades to the software that you have installed and has newer versions:

Code:
sudo apt upgrade

There are more apt commands, such as autoremove, clean, and autoclean. That is not an exhaustive list...

Now, let's put some of it together, and add the -y to make it answer yes to prompts automatically.

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y

Before installing software, or after adding additional repositories, it's considered best practice to run:

Code:
sudo apt update

Which, as you now know, updates the database of software that's available in the repositories. This is of course compared with your own database of software that you have installed when you run the upgrade command.

Then, to add to the confusion, there are many different package managers. Aptitude (for which you get the 'apt' commands) is just one of many. It's most commonly used in Debian derivatives, such as Ubuntu, Mint, or POP_OS!.

Let's assume aptitude as you are using aptitude terminology. There are many package managers, if you're curious.

apt installinstalls softtware
apt updateupdates the database of software versions
apt upgradeapplies upgrade according to dattabase

So, if you want to install software, it's:

Code:
sudo apt install <software>

That checks the database of files available in your repositories and installs the software if it exists.

If you want to update that database to know if newer versions are available:

Code:
sudo apt update

Then, to apply the upgrades to the software that you have installed and has newer versions:

Code:
sudo apt upgrade

There are more apt commands, such as autoremove, clean, and autoclean. That is not an exhaustive list...

Now, let's put some of it together, and add the -y to make it answer yes to prompts automatically.

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y

Before installing software, or after adding additional repositories, it's considered best practice to run:

Code:
sudo apt update

Which, as you now know, updates the database of software that's available in the repositories. This is of course compared with your own database of software that you have installed when you run the upgrade command.

Then, to add to the confusion, there are many different package managers. Aptitude (for which you get the 'apt' commands) is just one of many. It's most commonly used in Debian derivatives, such as Ubuntu, Mint, or POP_OS!.
OK, little " too centric" AKA starting sort of in the middle, but appreciate the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts