Vmware: How to get kernel module loaded

RelativelyNew

Reaction score
Credits
I've tried multiple (at least 5 now) suggested solutions to get Vmware Workstation Player 7.5 to sign the kernel module vmmon and nothing has yielded successful results.

There are two files, vmmon.ko and vmnet.ko located in /lib/modules/5.15.0-91-generic/misc. I made myself root by creating a root password and still get the same message
after entering the following command at the root prompt:

root@mike-System-Product-Name:/home/mike# modprobe -v vmmon
insmod /lib/modules/5.15.0-91-generic/misc/vmmon.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vmmon': Operation not permitted

I am going to reboot and see if I can point the bootloader to the location. This is (as mentioned) the 5th different solution I've tried and when powering on the virtual machine the complaint
remains constant - "could not open /dev/vmmon no such file or directory please make sure the kernel module is loaded.

From my (somewhat limited as I've not tried anything like this before) perspective, the file is clearly located in /lib/modules/.

It's my first post so if I've transgressed in any way by not appending this to some other thread, please accept my apologies and be kind.

Much thanks.

Vmware Workstation Player 7.5

What version of Linux. That is very old version. ( Currently version is 17 )
7.5 requires an older version of glibc. You may have to run an older version of Linux.

suggested solutions to get Vmware Workstation Player 7.5 to sign the kernel module vmmon
To make sure that unsigned module is indeed a problem after running modprobe -v vmmon verify kernel logs soon after with
dmesg | grep modprobe

If it says loading module failed because it's unsigned you have 2 options:

1. Disable secure boot in VM settings so that unsigned modules are permitted OR
2. Sign the module with your own key

To sign module you would use mokutil, link below explains how to use it on debian system:

If the error is not due to signature then please share what does dmesg say.

What version of Linux. That is very old version. ( Currently version is 17 )
7.5 requires an older version of glibc. You may have to run an older version of Linux.
That's a typo, my apologies, it's VM Workstation 17.5 so I missed the "1" (argh)

Linux: I'm running 21.3 Victoria which I believe was a system update done within the past 4 days.
To make sure that unsigned module is indeed a problem after running modprobe -v vmmon verify kernel logs soon after with
dmesg | grep modprobe

To sign module you would use mokutil, link below explains how to use it on debian system:

Thank you I will try this today and report back. Much appreciated!

dmesg | grep modprobe

I've come to this point: /var/lib/shim-signed/mok/MOK.der is already enrolled
BUT: for some mysterious reason, vmmon.ko has vanished from the file system. I moved it to /dev because VMware kept saying it couldn't find it there. On the plus side: I've learned a lot in the past several hours but it's more complicated than I could have anticipated. Which is fine, I simply must persevere and keep looking and knocking. Thanks.

At this point, VMware keeps loading but complaining there's no file /dev/vmmon - which is now correct, because vmmon.ko has flown the coop from/dev (can becoming a chicken grow wings?)....anyhow, I cannot even uninstall VMware via terminal because it says "no such package" called VMware Player after typing sudo apt-get purge VMware Player. I did that as root by the way and I don't mean just typing sudo - I was root by typing sudo -i prior to attempting the purge. I have another installation of Mint on another nvme stick so I'm going to navigate there and try to start over.

PS - I did the command for "Adding your key to DKMS" and VMWare still wouldn't start. There IS a package called
VMware and it's in /usr/lib . This is all interesting but I still don't know the answer to this question: Why can VMWare not find a signed key that disappeared after being signed? Well, what I ought to be saying is "Why did the signed key vanish?" I don't expect anyone to know the answer to that one but if someone does, kudos in spades.

Then you should skip to step "Adding your key to DKMS"

I guess if you shut down VM it's gone, and if so it's easier to just disable secure boot in VM settings.
I meant to say thank you very much for the link you provided as it's exceptionally thorough and helpful for a relative novice.

I meant to say thank you very much for the link you provided as it's exceptionally thorough and helpful for a relative novice.

You're welcome, keep in mind that the procedure explains 2 different approaches, automatic signing and manual signing.
Manual signing further more is different for kernel signing and module(driver) signing.

When signing modules (drivers) such as nvidia driver then I highly suggest to read nvidia documentation because nvidia driver outputs mulitples files and there is a specific method to sign all files in single shot during installation of the driver.
It's much easier than doing it by hand.

Members online