Vivaldi 6.5 released

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
For those of you who have not found their favorite browser yet. Vivaldi 6.5 has been released, it's the one i use 90% of the time.
Give it a try. Down load from here if your distro does not supply it.
PCLinuxOS has it in their repositories. Enjoy!

The .deb package even adds the repo so it stays updated.
policy vivaldi-stable
vivaldi-stable:
Installed: 6.5.3206.39-1
Candidate: 6.5.3206.39-1
Version table:
*** 6.5.3206.39-1 500
500 https://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable/main arm64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
6.4.3160.47-1 500
500 https://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb stable/main arm64 Packages

In Wikipedia they say something remarkable:

In September 2021, Vivaldi replaced Firefox as the default browser on the Manjaro Cinnamon Community Edition to a mixed reception from the Linux community, as Vivaldi is not free and open source software; Manjaro developers cited this decision on Vivaldi's feature-richness and exceptional customisability.

Manjaro developers cited this decision on Vivaldi's feature-richness and exceptional customisability.
And yet, I do NOT like Vivaldi - nothing goes like the Firefox/Thunderbird combo (for me, any way)

Cheers,
Eddy

Ditto to Eddy's comment above.

I have tried a few times to become used to/like, Vivaldi ....and it leaves me cold each and every time

Google can be your friend, sometimes

How does the user disable the spellchecker?
What I meant is, from using Vivaldi last year. Has it changed in the latest version of the software to disable spellchecking while using it? Because marking stuff in red is very annoying to me. Especially when I didn't write it.

EDIT: I did visit that link and I repeat the first sentence by the requester. :) Vivaldi still doesn't have a straightforward option, it seems to disable the spellchecker. I could find that option in Firefox easily.

In September 2021, Vivaldi replaced Firefox as the default browser on the Manjaro Cinnamon Community Edition...

Fortunately, if you have (as I do) the Manjaro installed prior to that date, it does not replace Firefox with Vivaldi.

Another point in favour for Rolling Releases. I don't have BTRFS either (except for a Garuda).

Cheers

Wiz

What I meant is, from using Vivaldi last year. Has it changed in the latest version of the software to disable spellchecking while using it? Because marking stuff in red is very annoying to me. Especially when I didn't write it.

From that forum thread at Vivaldi Brian referenced, it appears it is off by default, only Outlook is affected.

Or am I missing something? ;)

Wiz

In September 2021, Vivaldi replaced Firefox as the default browser on the Manjaro Cinnamon Community Edition to a mixed reception from the Linux community...
I agree with Wizard, this is mostly incorrect because I have Manjaro MATE, updated to the "release" happening a short time ago. I've installed it twice more before and it always came with Firefox. This time round I don't even bother with forcing Brave Browser from AUR. :/

Vivaldi still doesn't have a straightforward option, it seems to disable the spellchecker.
Yes, it does... but not in the settings menus. It's more like about:config in Firefox.

Open Vivaldi (latest version), and go to this URL: chrome://settings/languages/
This works with Chromium too, and maybe other (all?) Chromium-based browsers.

The first section you see there is Preferred Languages, but just below that is Spell Check, and you can simply slide the toggle switch to the OFF position. It takes effect immediately, no need to restart the Vivaldi, and no more squiggly red underlining.

Vivaldi is a fine browser... as a daily driver or as a backup. I've used it as a backup to Firefox for many years. Vivaldi has built-in ad and tracker blocking, and optional mail and calendar features (that I don't use). It is highly configurable, and very fast. If it weren't Chromium-based, it could well become my daily driver, but I hang onto FF in order to try to keep up at least some competition to Team Google.

It's mostly my fault, but Vivaldi felt like a limited version of Internet Explorer. There was nothing about it that made me want to stay using it for longer than 30 minutes compared to Firefox. I'm used to Firefox.

You guys don't care that it is closed source?
Regardless of that fact, it has sufficient 'credentials' to be included in the Linux Mint repository, as a Flatpak

You guys don't care that it is closed source?
I use it because it works for me. I will use open source as much as possible and do use brave and FF a bit. But Vivaldi works for my style of work. I was once an open source advocate but then I had computers that needed no open source drivers just to get the hardware working and there are very few Distros out there that are completely open source and work with modern hardware. So it's a compromise either way. Either you pay the extra for compatible hardware or you use non-opensource components. Debian was the last major holdout and they now allow non-free drivers also. If FF would worked better for me I would use it. I guess the biggest gripe I have With brave and FF is you need a 1/2 dozen extensions to do the same thing Vivaldi can do without them. So in the browser wars it similar.

It's mostly my fault, but Vivaldi felt like a limited version of Internet Explorer. There was nothing about it that made me want to stay using it for longer than 30 minutes compared to Firefox. I'm used to Firefox.
That iis one of beauties of linux we have choices and each can find their comfort level.

No fault, no harm, no foul. We all like what we like, and some things we may never like. Firefox has been my #1 for a long time. Vivaldi has just become my favorite second-choice over time, but I didn't care much for it at first either. I've tried Brave a couple of times, but it doesn't suit me either... yet. But things may change.

Things do change... whether we try to keep up with change, or not. ;)

Last edited:

Members online