Virtualization issue

Naniki

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I have an old kernel where all stuff if working okay. I tried like 4 different new kernels and I have same problem at all.
When I just PC and log in LightDM, i get to desktop for 1 second and then I get kicked to LightDM back, after I login one more time it's all okay and I enjoy it. But I have issues with KVM and VirtualBox.
I can run KVM and start machines but when I open them I get kicked back to LightDM, if I log in back I get kicked again. If I login one more time all my running applications are closed except running Virtual Machine(it's running but it's not opened, if I try to open it I get kicked again).
Using Virtualbox, I can run and open Virtual Machines but after few time (2-10min) I get kicked as well. When I login back Virtual Machine is turned off

Debian Stretch

Hi @Naniki, and welcome! This sounds like a tough one, and my own experience with VirtualBox is limited (and no experience at all with KVM). But let me try to sort through some details and maybe some ideas will start to come together.

1. Is Debian Stretch the Host OS, or the Guest? Please list any and all of the Guest systems you are trying to run.

2. Which kernel version was working okay? And what were the other 4 kernel versions that did not work?

3. How much TOTAL RAM does the computer have? And how much RAM have you assigned to each Guest?

4. Have you checked your BIOS? Many BIOS settings have an option to help with virtualization. You should enable this setting, if you have one.

5. Are you using the latest versions of KVM and VirtualBox?

6. When you are kicked out back to LightDM, do you see any errors? Please report any errors that you see.

7. As a last resort, can you erase everything on this computer and start all over again? (And possibly use a different Host OS?)

Okay, that's about all I can think of for now. Maybe some other folks will jump in with more questions too. We'll try to help, but we'll have to see how this one goes.

Cheers

Hi @Naniki, and welcome! This sounds like a tough one, and my own experience with VirtualBox is limited (and no experience at all with KVM). But let me try to sort through some details and maybe some ideas will start to come together.

1. Is Debian Stretch the Host OS, or the Guest? Please list any and all of the Guest systems you are trying to run.

2. Which kernel version was working okay? And what were the other 4 kernel versions that did not work?

3. How much TOTAL RAM does the computer have? And how much RAM have you assigned to each Guest?

4. Have you checked your BIOS? Many BIOS settings have an option to help with virtualization. You should enable this setting, if you have one.

5. Are you using the latest versions of KVM and VirtualBox?

6. When you are kicked out back to LightDM, do you see any errors? Please report any errors that you see.

7. As a last resort, can you erase everything on this computer and start all over again? (And possibly use a different Host OS?)

Okay, that's about all I can think of for now. Maybe some other folks will jump in with more questions too. We'll try to help, but we'll have to see how this one goes.

Cheers

1. Debian Stretch Host OS.
Guest OS doesn't matter, in KVM i get kicked always, in virtualbox it's random. Sometimes I get kicked in few minutes, sometimes is okay for ~30min.

2. 4.9 is okay
With 4.15. 4.16 4.17 i have this issue

3 and 4 Here all is okay, because with 4.9 all is okay.

5. Yes

6. No

7. No

Seems my 1st post wasn't clear enought. Sorry for my bad english.

Using 4.9 kernel I don't have any issues. Using 4.15 4.16 4.17 I get this errors

Xorg log https://pastebin.com/m2qnFE72

There is a Naniki in Barbados, is that where you are from?

Using 4.9 kernel I don't have any issues. Using 4.15 4.16 4.17 I get this errors

I believe you have answered that question, yourself? Welcome to linux.org @Naniki :)

If Debian 'Stretch' Stable is what you are using, as am I, then the 4.9 kernel series is the latest. My use of these commands:

Code:
sudo apt-cache search linux-image

#and

uname -r

... tell me that I have 4.9.0-3, 4.9.0-4, 4.9.0-5 and I am using 4.9.0-6 currently. These are up-to-date.

So there appear to be incompatibilities between the newer Kernels that you have installed, and the VirtualBox and KVM, which you have also installed.

You will likely find that there are more Applications and categories that you have, or install, which have not yet "caught up with" the newer kernels.

So I would go back to using the 4.9 series, if I were you.

Let us know if you have any problems reverting back.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

There is a Naniki in Barbados, is that where you are from?

I believe you have answered that question, yourself? Welcome to linux.org @Naniki :)

If Debian 'Stretch' Stable is what you are using, as am I, then the 4.9 kernel series is the latest. My use of these commands:

Code:
sudo apt-cache search linux-image

#and

uname -r

... tell me that I have 4.9.0-3, 4.9.0-4, 4.9.0-5 and I am using 4.9.0-6 currently. These are up-to-date.

So there appear to be incompatibilities between the newer Kernels that you have installed, and the VirtualBox and KVM, which you have also installed.

You will likely find that there are more Applications and categories that you have, or install, which have not yet "caught up with" the newer kernels.

So I would go back to using the 4.9 series, if I were you.

Let us know if you have any problems reverting back.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
People from IRC chat of virt-manager are using newer kernels than 4.9 and have no errors.
So please help me if it's possible.
In previous reply I gave Xorg logs also I can give more logs if needed.

Is here all okay ?
find /dev -group video
/dev/media0
/dev/video1
/dev/video0
/dev/fb0
/dev/dri/card0
/dev/dri/renderD128

glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.​

People from IRC chat of virt-manager are using newer kernels than 4.9 and have no errors.
Then why can those people not assist you? Perhaps they are not using Debian? Or perhaps they are not using Nvidia video cards?

Your pastebin report indicated you were using Nvidia, if I interpreted it correctly. Is that so? If it is Nvidia, as a wild guess I might suggest that you use the kernel boot parameter nomodeset on the Host, then on the Guest, and then on both the Host and Guest to see if it benefits you. The more common problem that nomodeset fixes is a black screen, so your symptoms are different... but still seem to be graphics related. Along with nomodeset, you can also add nouveau.modeset=0... it will not hurt to add both together.

As another wild guess, I would suggest you install the proprietary Nvidia driver for your system instead of nouveau.

For a third wild guess, if your Nvidia card is an add-on, then remove it and use onboard graphics instead. Or, if a spare video card from another manufacturer is available, install it to test with.... assuming your computer is a desktop (I don't think you told us). You may not have a spare video card, but maybe you have a friend who does, or maybe a nearby computer store would have a used card that you could get cheap.

Cheers

Members online