Vimeo troubles with Firefox ESR

rodrigo bom

Reaction score
Credits
First of all, hello to everyone.

I'm studying to be a certified penetration testing engineer, but I'm still crawling in the depths of Linux.

Well, my problem is this, and I hope someone can help me: I installed the nvidia driver to be able to use hashcat using gpu speed. Unfortunately it did not work out and I still had several bugs. I uninstalled the driver, and I deleted any trace of what I did in the process and my Kali has resurrected, but Vimeo videos simply do not run in firefox esr anymore. I set Chromium (i dont want it) and voila, the videos run.

Vimeo gave me this error message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
“Unsupported viewing environment: Your system is having trouble playing this video”
If you’re seeing this error consistently, your system or browser may not support playback in the Vimeo player. To start, double check the following:

• The latest version of your browser is installed
  • Your system can decode H.264 video
Windows 10 users: There are versions of Windows 10 that do not come with codecs pre-installed. Try downloading the media packages found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions

Linux users: If you are seeing an unsupported error in the player on Ubuntu (and some other Linux operating systems), try installing these packages: Chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra (for Chromium), or streamer0.10-plugins-good and Streamer0.10-ffmpeg (for Firefox)

If you continue to see the unsupported error in the player on Linux, please contact your OS community for assistance with installing the necessary packages for h.264/ HTML5 playback.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
And that's why I'm here.

I want to uninstall chromium as soon as possible, for personal convictions, and re-use Firefox ESR, 100%.

I study online, and all the video lessons are via Vimeo videos.

I've read all the forums about this, and nothing worked. I uninstalled and installed firefox in kali and nothing.

I would appreciate some support.

Thank you very much in advance.

ps.: Forgive me for my terrible english

Your English is fine, Rodrigo - welcome to linux.org :)

Although Firefox ESR 52.9 was only released in June, support for the 52 series ends 27th August. At or by that time, we will need to migrate to ff-esr 60. I do not know if that will remedy the vimeo problems.

You can get 60 here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations

... if you want to try it out, I will be leaving it until the last minute, too busy right now.

Kali supports the use of Timeshift, which I write about here https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

It acts a bit like Windows Restore but is better. If you had had it onboard prior, you would use it to take snapshots, then implement updates or changes, and roll back if they went wrong.

I would certainly advise your installing it and using it in future.

Can you tell us the URL of one of the Vimeo videos so I can take a look? I have Kali on board, but am a Novice at it.

streamer0.10-plugins-good ... I think is very obsolete - check your Synaptic Package Manager for the presence of gstreamer1.0-plugins-good . Mine is installed. Can't see any signs of Streamer0.10-ffmpeg

We have a Member @JasKinasis more experienced on Firefox-ESR than I, he may have some input.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks so much for the feedback and for the welcome, Chris!

I will try ff-60 immediately. Great! TY again!

About the timeshift, I think I'm in sync. Yesterday after posting here, I installed Backintime, a tool similar to timeshift. I fully understand your advice.

About the video of the vimeo, it is a video lesson, it is necessary to log in as a user. But I tested it on the Vimeo site with random videos and nothing, man. I honestly think the problem was me. I did something wrong on the way.

JasKinasis, okay, good to know. The Linux community is very united and this in a way encourages the walk.

Many thanks again, Chris. Have a nice weekend. See you soon.

ps2: I'm going to test the ff-60 and put the feedback.

Very cool :cool:

Need I say? Now is a good time to run your BackInTime, then, yeah?

Tony George, of Timeshift, has good things to say about BackInTime. I have yet to work with it, but that is why I called my Tute "...& Similar Solutions". You might have some valuable input for me when I get to it? :)

Cheers

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts