Using Google Search to Find Software Can Be Risky

I couldn't rationalize why I never liked cnet, it just screams scam from a mile away, one look at it is enough

....visit publisher site directly.
... go outside of your distribution's repo's it's risky.
What about Sourceforge? I've found a lot of opensource really software there. I think I read something about it when I was first looking at moving to Linux Mint.

I think they usually took me to... GitHub? I think that's where. A lot of Extensions for Firefox are there. I think it's a developers (platform)?

Start Page is a good alternative to Google.
Sadly StartPage is no longer owned by same guys who invented it, it was sold to some company that is apparently not as trusted at least according to various online articles, I forgot it's long time ago since it was sold.

My theory is if APT can't find it it's not worth having.
Sadly APT provides out of date packages, if you want most recent stuff you're pretty much forced to visit publisher's site.
I personally do it only if I need it, like PasswordSafe, virtual box, lutris, wine and similar stuff for which I care.

Other random packages are fine from distro repo, and flatpak and the other 2 are sadly the last thing I would ever use.

What about Sourceforge? I've found a lot of opensource really software there.
Sourceforge just like GitHub or GitLab is about open source, not only you download software that is open source but you visit developer's repo directly which is the way to go.

What about Sourceforge? I've found a lot of opensource really software there. I think I read something about it when I was first looking at moving to Linux Mint.

I think they usually took me to... GitHub? I think that's where. A lot of Extensions for Firefox are there. I think it's a developers (platform)?
I've never had any issue's with Sourceforge however, things can go wrong. All the more reason to trust your distro's repositories.

GitHub does have a lot of Linux contributors and developers that post there yes.

Sadly StartPage is no longer owned by same guys who invented it, it was sold to some company that is apparently not as trusted at least according to various online articles, I forgot it's long time ago since it was sold.

Sadly APT provides out of date packages, if you want most recent stuff you're pretty much forced to visit publisher's site.
I personally do it only if I need it, like PasswordSafe, virtual box, lutris, wine and similar stuff for which I care.

Other random packages are fine from distro repo, and flatpak and the other 2 are sadly the last thing I would ever use.

Sourceforge just like GitHub or GitLab is about open source, not only you download software that is open source but you visit developer's repo directly which is the way to go.
Thanks for the info. about Start Page.

Yeah, your right APT does have older packages.
Sometimes, (depending on the software) your looking for the latest and greatest isn't always the best and may be problematic.

Problematic and unstable functionality in software usually occurs when things were not complied properly during the build. And <or> if older packages are used.

In relation to apt and "older packages", it will depend entirely on the distribution that one is running. Running debian bookworm, the stable release, will not get the latest packages from the repositories accessed by apt, however, running debian trixie (the testing release) and more so, the debian sid release, will get very recent packages. The authentically rolling release: siduction, which is based on debian sid, as a finely curated distribution that uses apt, provides very recent packages, continually.

In relation to apt and "older packages", it will depend entirely on the distribution that one is running.
Amen to That !

I'm VERY new to Linux Mint and there a lot of things I'm not familiar with. I usually try to figure out things on my own, but I'm not so sure about this "APT" thing.

"....a command-line utility used for installing, updating, removing, and also managing deb packages on Ubuntu, Debian, and related Linux"

Medium FoxuTech

In Windows, this would be "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel, but only to delete or repair software, I won't go on.
All of those things that seem to have anything to do with APT would be handled separately in Windows.

Is APT also used to find software???

This is from wikipedia:
Advanced package tool, or APT, is a free-software user interface that works with core libraries to handle the installation and removal of software on Debian, and Debian-based Linux distributions.[3] APT simplifies the process of managing software on Unix-like computer systems by automating the retrieval, configuration and installation of software packages, either from precompiled files or by compiling source code.[3]

In other words, if I open a Terminal, and type in (or copy and paste for accuracy)

Code:
sudo apt install neofetch

press enter, enter my password...enter again

That will install neofetch

If i then open a terminal and type in:

Code:
neofetch

....and the press enter....it will return the info below:

1706403754646.png

So, apt has found the app/program, neofetch and gathered together what is needed to install it SAFELY

For those who don't like/want to use the Terminal, neofech and 60,000 other apps can be accessed via the Software Manager

This is from wikipedia:
Advanced package tool, or APT, is a free-software user interface that works with core libraries to handle the installation and removal of software on Debian, and Debian-based Linux distributions.[3] APT simplifies the process of managing software on Unix-like computer systems by automating the retrieval, configuration and installation of software packages, either from precompiled files or by compiling source code.[3]

In other words, if I open a Terminal, and type in (or copy and paste for accuracy)

Code:
sudo apt install neofetch

press enter, enter my password...enter again

That will install neofetch

If i then open a terminal and type in:

Code:
neofetch

....and the press enter....it will return the info below:

View attachment 18001

So, apt has found the app/program, neofetch and gathered together what is needed to install it SAFELY

For those who don't like/want to use the Terminal, neofech and 60,000 other apps can be accessed via the Software Manager
I'm sure I'll be asking more about this later!

Make a list. Cuts down on repetition

Cross them off as you come to understand them and where to find them (navigation)

Lots of people here keep a wiki/notes etc etc..of all kinds in order to remember

I use Zim Desktop Wiki (comes from the Software Manager)

I'm VERY new to Linux Mint and there a lot of things I'm not familiar with. I usually try to figure out things on my own, but I'm not so sure about this "APT" thing.

"....a command-line utility used for installing, updating, removing, and also managing deb packages on Ubuntu, Debian, and related Linux"

Medium FoxuTech

In Windows, this would be "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel, but only to delete or repair software, I won't go on.
All of those things that seem to have anything to do with APT would be handled separately in Windows.

Is APT also used to find software???
Yes you can use APT to locate software.

Make a list. Cuts down on repetition

Cross them off as you come to understand them and where to find them (navigation)

Lots of people here keep a wiki/notes etc etc..of all kinds in order to remember

I use Zim Desktop Wiki (comes from the Software Manager)
I already have a notebook and YouTube videos book marked. And a pencil, not a pen. That way I can erase useless notes. And I always do my homework before asking questions. I can ask more specific questions that way instead of asking a single question that's really a bunch of questions in one. Like "What is Linux". I understand it better that way, when I have some kind of foundation to hang the explanations on!

Oh, I forgot that Duck Duck Go has a browser extension for Firefox.

A note about the Brave browser. I only used it for streaming movies. There's a reason for that. I'll explain if anyone REALLY wants to know. It has to do with WideVine.
Anyway, for a while I was allowing it to save SOME passwords. When I tried to view them one day, I got a message saying I had to sign into my Microsoft account. I have two step verification set up for those accounts so I guess it's not that big of a deal. But since they push the idea that everything is so private, I was really surprised. Just another reason to use a password manager.

I'm still using it, for those reasons if you REALLY want to know. But it's blocked by my firewall when not in use. Still not comfortable using it though.

Well after coming over to Linux Mint I have found everything I need (with the exception of two graphic programs witch I have on wine) can be obtained with the software manager. Those apps are also monitored and when a new version becomes available the update manager lets me know it is available and can be downloaded using it. I have no need to use anything else. IMO this is the beauty of Linux.
Always,
Wildman

I already have a notebook and YouTube videos book marked. And a pencil, not a pen.
Hey guys, I have some 5K bookmarks sorted into folders and subfolders in my browser, I'm collecting them for over 10 years, only most useful ones are added, there is almost no junk in collection.

When I need to troubleshoot or fix something it takes less than a minute to find what I need.
I suggest you to work on your collection and you'll be faster than google search. :)

Anyway, for a while I was allowing it to save SOME passwords. When I tried to view them one day, I got a message saying I had to sign into my Microsoft account. I have two step verification set up for those accounts so I guess it's not that big of a deal. But since they push the idea that everything is so private, I was really surprised. Just another reason to use a password manager.
There is no match for Password safe

Main benefits:
1. Auto type passwords, ex. right click on an entry in password manager and it auto types it into web browser form
Benefit is not only ease and speed of use but this way passwords bypass clipboard so that malware can't capture your passwords.

2. It's open source, and designed by a known person
3. Provides virtual keyboard, which is useful to make potential keyloggers unable to steal your passwords

however, running debian trixie (the testing release) and more so, the debian sid release, will get very recent packages.
True but stable system is better than up to date packages.

You can always manually install an updated package if you need it, but if you stuck with crashing system there is not much you can do.

edit:
This link is very useful:

Last edited:

Members online