usb wireless nano for Linux because of low wifi signal

G

geordiejohn

hello i have got a Acer Aspire 5536 laptop and i was running Peppermint Linux with no trouble until a few months ago and then i started getting a low wifi signal and sometimes no connection at all causing me to reboot.
i sent for a D-Link Wireless N 150 usb adapter DWA-125 but when it arrived it was for Windows and Mac only.
the peppermint forum gave me lots of commands to try but with no luck in the end and i was told i need an adapter with the Qualcom Atheros AR9271 chip,i have had to go back to Windows 7 at the moment because it gives me a good signal using the usb.
does anyone please know what i can do so i can get back to Linux whichever distro will give me the best wifi signal ?
thank you.

What fettle marra? ;)

1) Which version of Peppermint are you using?
2) Without plugging in any external wifi hardware, which wifi does your laptop natively have? (Again without any extra hardware...) What is the result if you input to a Terminal:
lspci grep|Network
Can you copy and paste the result here.
3) Peppermint is based on Ubuntu, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should avoid Ubuntu. Maybe you should try few LiveCDs. >>>https://www.livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux . I would be tempted to try Linux Mint (also based on Ubuntu) .

i have had to install Windows 7 and use the wireless usb to get a good signal,i cannot put your command in because i am using windows?

i am using device manager

Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

So do you know what version of Peppermint you DID use?

There are many posts about the Atheros AR5B91

In Ubuntu it just worked when someone used a more recent version. In Linux Mint it worked when someone used an OLDER version.

One of the advantages of LiveCDs is that you can boot from them entirely without affecting your Hard Disk. Even though you are using Windows you can boot a Linux LiveCD from the CD-Rom and just try it. When the take the LiveCD out it is as though it had never been there.

You can create LiveCDs (CD or USB stick) through Windows. Look at e.g. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

which Linux distro would you suggest i could use with my drivers please?
thank you.

Members online

Latest posts