Solved Undo settings on Debian 12

Solved issue

luizfernandorg

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, my name is Luiz, and I made a mistake with my Debian 12 Bookworm, I installed the nvidia-smi and its dependencies, and now my system is using X11 and not the Wayland as it was the default, and the terminal on TTY and Prompt are using wrong configurations the text in the TTY is huge, they are in the wrong resolution, I don't know what to do to revert the situation, I tried everything and almost crush the system. I tried the Chat GPT, but its configuration is from the time when Xorg was the default for Debian. I use NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, during the installation of nvidia-smi I noticed that it installed a 386 package. I would appreciate the help!

Hi Luiz and Welcome to Linux.org!

If you are new to Linux you may want to download the Debian Administrators Handbook. It will teach you how to manage your Debian system and once your well versed with the practices you'll have the skills to remove or tend to undesired issues.

How did you install the nvidia-smi and it's depends?

What I don't like about .run scripts is that with installed drivers it's not easy to find out where the installer placed the driver. It will be placed in the current directory and the string -'custom' will be appended to it's name so you can tell it from the actuall .run file it's self. According to the script it can be uninstalled.

Looks like you have to cd to the directory it's installed to and then run:
Code:
$ sudo ./uninstall

See the screenshots--

Attachments

• Nvidia.png
    Nvidia.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Uninstall.png
    Uninstall.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
What I don't like about .run scripts is that with installed drivers it's not easy to find out where the installer placed the driver. It will be placed in the current directory and the string -'custom' will be appended to it's name so you can tell it from the actuall .run file it's self. According to the script it can be uninstalled.

Looks like you have to cd to the directory it's installed to and then run:
Code:
$ sudo ./uninstall

See the screenshots--
I did an "apt install nvidia-smi" and uninstalled "apt remove nvidia-smi" but the System is still using Xorg instead of Wayland, and the TTY is on the wrong resolution, then after I tried "dpkg --purge nvidia-smi" but nothing is changed! I need to configure to use Wayland and the worst part is that when I switch from Gnome to TTY takes longer than before and I need to change the resolution of TTY.

Last edited:
I did an "apt install nvidia-smi" and uninstalled "apt remove nvidia-smi" but the System is still using Xorg instead of Wayland, and the TTY is on the wrong resolution, then after I tried "dpkg --purge nvidia-smi" but nothing is changed! I need to configure to use Wayland and the worst part is that when I switch from Gnome to TTY takes longer than before and I need to change the resolution of TTY.
Log out.
Log back in but this time look for the gear where you can select which desktop environment you want.

If that doesn't work, open the /etc/gdm/custom.conf file with root prividgles in nano or your favorite text editor and place a # (pound sign) in front of the following line:
Code:
 #WaylandEnable=false

Then reboot:-

On my Debian 12 Gnome system it's under the /etc/gdm3/init directory. It's listed in a file labeled "dameon.conf

To save yourself from future distress read my signature line.

Attachments

• Daemon.png
    Daemon.png
    105 KB · Views: 60
I was able to resolve the issue. I did
Bash:
sudo apt purge nvidia-*
sudo apt purge nvidia-driver-*
and was done, and all my problems went away. Thanks for all the help, and I appreciate your time in responding.

Last edited:
I was able to resolve the issue. I did
Bash:
sudo apt purge nvidia-*
sudo apt purge nvidia-driver-*
and was done, and all my problems went away. Thanks for all the help, and I appreciate your time in responding.
Thanks for the update. You're welcome.

When you can kindly go to your first post and mark it Solved.

Members online

Latest posts