Unable to install Kubuntu on NVMe SSD. HP Envy x360 15t Intel i7-8550U, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 240GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD

robvazdom

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your help.

So as the title says, I'm trying to install a distro on my NVMe SSD. I'm currently running from my HDD, but KDE Partition Manager does not detect the SSD. I can't seem to find an option to change the controller type from the BIOS, although when I asked for help on Reddit apparently the NVMe SSD shouldn't have any problems being detected. when I run sudo fdisk -l, I don't see the drive at all, just the main one and a lot of "loop" drives of smaller size (that, if what I read elsewhere is correct, were created by using snap program installations). I'm not sure how to proceed. You guys gut any ideas?

Again, thanks in advance.

Which version of Kubuntu?

I ask because I recently had a Kubuntu issue on my new HP ENVY x360 (11th gen i7). I tried to install 20.04.1 on a Samsung 970 that is being used as a replacement for the original 36GB Optane/500GB SSD hybrid drive that has the original Windows 10. Everything I tried for installing 20.04.1 failed. Then I downloaded Kubuntu 20.10, burned it to another USB thumb drive and was able to install that version. It turned out that the 20.10 Live/Installer seems to have (better) support for the touchpad, and the 20.04.1 does not.

After installing 20.10, I went back with the 20.04.1 thumb drive and tried the install again. Still could not install 20.04.1. So I'm staying with Kubuntu 20.10 on my new HP laptop, even though I normally prefer the LTS versions of Kubuntu. I'll keep trying as each next point release of 20.04 comes out, but 20.10 is working well, so far

Which version of Kubuntu?

I ask because I recently had a Kubuntu issue on my new HP ENVY x360 (11th gen i7). I tried to install 20.04.1 on a Samsung 970 that is being used as a replacement for the original 36GB Optane/500GB SSD hybrid drive that has the original Windows 10. Everything I tried for installing 20.04.1 failed. Then I downloaded Kubuntu 20.10, burned it to another USB thumb drive and was able to install that version. It turned out that the 20.10 Live/Installer seems to have (better) support for the touchpad, and the 20.04.1 does not.

After installing 20.10, I went back with the 20.04.1 thumb drive and tried the install again. Still could not install 20.04.1. So I'm staying with Kubuntu 20.10 on my new HP laptop, even though I normally prefer the LTS versions of Kubuntu. I'll keep trying as each next point release of 20.04 comes out, but 20.10 is working well, so far
Hmm. Actually I do have the 20.04 and have had some problems with it. Is it at all possible that's the cause? I've had this problem since 18.xx LTS though.

I don't have any experience with an HP Envy before a few days ago, since mine was a Christmas gift from my wife and sons. All I know is how my system reacted to the Live/Install thumb drive with 20.04.1 and then with 20.10. So it has to be something to do with included drivers, and mine is different model with an 11th gen i7 and no HDD - just an m.2 SSD. Once I installed Kubuntu 20.10, everything worked fine, including the touchpad and touchscreen. Of course, the touchpad worked also with the 20.10 installer. But even after installing 20.10, the 20.04.1 installer would not respond to the touchpad. And I really wanted the LTS to work. I'll keep trying with each new 20.04 point release, but I can live with this until 22.04 LTS comes out.

Members online