ubuntu rolling release

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits

that would have tempted me ,had they released it before i tried Arch. On a system where you have config that youv'e forgotten how you did it and forgotten whats lingering somewhere that you've also forgotten then the last thing you want is a clean install . Ability to safely upgrade from one to another every couple of years second. The only downside of a rolling release like Arch if i ever return to Africa is that the download size and frequency is a problem with band width and cost of internet in Africa. I wonder how many might be attracted to this rolling release

I too may have been tempted a few years ago. But I've become disenchanted with Ubuntu feel they have made many choices over the past 5 years or so that were not in the best interest of their user base. If I was going to use a rolling release model it would be Arch or Manjaro or similar. But alas I'm too tied to stability. :) Don't get me wrong Ubuntu and it's other spins are great distros in there own right. And their model works well for many. And will continue to in the foreseeable future. But I don't think a ubuntu rolling release will attract that many users. JMHO.

Last edited:
Nowadays, do most ubuntuites even know the difference? It's probably not a bad idea since I see many newbies trying to upgrade static releases in Mint and other 'buntu distros when what they really want is a clean install but don't know it. For now, I'll stick with PCLOS openbox and continue trying out Parrot 5.0

I AM glad to see the ZFS option for install on the 'buntus -- many need to become more familiar with it as an alternative to trying to make RAID work in Linux.

I too may have been tempted a few years ago. But I've become disenchanted with Ubuntu feel they have made many choices over the past 5 years or so that were not in the best interest of their user base. If I was going to use a rolling release model it would be Arch or Manjaro or similar. But alas I'm too tied to stability. :) Don't get me wrong Ubuntu and it's other spins are great distros in there own right. And their model works well for many. And will continue to in the foreseeable future. But I don't think a ubuntu rolling release will attract that many users. JMHO.
Especially when Ubuntu releases a stable version every couple of years anyway why do rolling almost seems redundant to me.

I'm pretty sure this isn't an Ubuntu thing - meaning it ain't us. It's someone else that's using the devel repositories to make Ubuntu into a kind of rolling release. It's a third party affair, in other words.

I'm pretty sure this isn't an Ubuntu thing - meaning it ain't us. It's someone else that's using the devel repositories to make Ubuntu into a kind of rolling release. It's a third party affair, in other words.
Yep on their website it says - Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. Rolling Rhino Remix is not affiliated with the Ubuntu Project.

Yep on their website it says - Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. Rolling Rhino Remix is not affiliated with the Ubuntu Project.

That's what I figured. I think this made the Linux news rounds a while back. If it was officially us, that is Ubuntu, someone would have mentioned it to me. Well, I hope someone would have told me about something this big. I'm pretty sure this is the distro that made the news a while ago.

Members online

Latest posts