Ubuntu (and official flavors) new LTS (22.04) is scheduled for release tomorrow!

I can't think of the last time I bothered burning a DVD to install in a long, long time. In fact, I haven't burned a DVD in ages.

Two of the last four burns of DVD media for me have had the drive fail... Most CD/DVD burners are now getting rather old.

On most my boxes the drives are standard, and that means I just have to get the box open, replace drive with another from a pile of replacement drives (since my replacement drives aren't new; they're as likely to fail next write anyway), but if the box requires a non-standard 5.25" drive I don't have, I don't replace it.

I no longer have DVD-RW media (and won't be buying any); and when I'm out of DVDRs I'll no longer be testing DVDRs too. I've been frugal with my use of DVDR since I got down to the last pack.

Hmm... Does this mean you may have been too impatient for the earlier tries?

I'm not sure what to make of it, is why I ask.

Not this testing cycle, but one of the earlier versions that I tested, one of the days took like eight or ten minutes just to get to the initial selection screen. It was just that once and the following day the new .iso did not do the same thing.

Not that that has a darned thing to do with the subject at hand, it was just a weird time where it took forever.

I tried everything. I downloaded again. I rebooted a dozen times. I even tried a second computer. After like an hour, I just let it sit there and it eventually loaded. I felt pretty silly as I'd spent a good hour trying to make it boot when all I had to do was wait. (In my defense, I don't have much in the way of older hardware, so waiting that long was rather unexpected.)

Either way, thanks for putting the effort in to make Lubuntu better.
Maybe however if a Linux distro is going to take that long to load to the desktop than it should be mentioned.

I've never had any Linux distro load as slow as the 22.04 Ubuntu and Lubuntu from a DVD or a USB flash drive.

I understand it's 2.7 GB and 3.5 GB iso it's loading but jeez.

I believe the new Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu official flavors are going to take a bit of adjustment and getting used to.

As for the lack of CD/DVD rom not being installed or used the only ones I know of are laptops.

CDs and DVDs are easily located for little money in thrift stores everywhere and I've probably have 500 plus DVDs.

I still use VHS format and still have a Sony Betamax that works great and boxes full of NOS tapes for both.
https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/101771/area14mp/image-20151113-12377-5bmt4b.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bc/bf/b4/bcbfb40ad977e69122f8e552d7f08cf9---years-audio.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been frugal with my use of DVDR since I got down to the last pack.

I'm pretty sure I have a spindle or two here. LOL They'd cost me more to ship than it'd cost to buy them locally. Shipping costs are outlandish at the moment.

Maybe however if a Linux distro is going to take that long to load to the desktop than it should be mentioned.

Yeah, on further reading from Discourse, it's definitely something amiss. While you should be patient, 20+ minutes is excessive, even on older hardware.

Hmm... My Lubuntu Jammy .iso, from the last sync done - which should be the same as the release, it's only 2.4 GB. Hmm... I just started a fresh download of the actual release and that too is 2.4 GB.

Okay I was being lazy and guessing the actual amounts are below.

Ubuntu iso 3.4 GB
Lubuntu iso 2.4 GB

That's a lot of files to have to decompress and load when waiting for the install menu to appear.

Without being made aware of that from the git-go I expect there might be some others wonder if there's a problem.

Just would've been most helpful to have known from the start OH well live and learn. ;)

Lunbunt iso 3.4 GB

Just for clarification - is that a typo?

And, I like the idea of it reporting the state of affairs - even if it just said something like "Decompressing $1%" and updating as it went along. That seems like something that should be fairly easy to incorporate - but I am not a developer.

Just for clarification - is that a typo?

And, I like the idea of it reporting the state of affairs - even if it just said something like "Decompressing $1%" and updating as it went along. That seems like something that should be fairly easy to incorporate - but I am not a developer.
Good catch.
Yep sure is a typo.

I'm old and my eyes ain't the best but I did correct it but double check it please.

That's why my monitor resolution is set to 1024x768 and I still can't see worth a flip old age is a bitch.

Yep some sort of a status indicator would be nice OH well I'll still take it as it comes OOTB.

I'm old and my eyes ain't the best but I did correct it but double check it please.

There you go. That matches mine, so we can rule out oversize image as a factor. Your initial comment had me slightly optimistic, 'cause we sometimes get oversize images in our daily testing (along with a note saying that that won't be a problem in production). If it was that, it'd be (I'm pretty sure) easily fixed.

Ah well...

With troubleshooting, you're often just pulling threads and hoping for something to come out of it. You can narrow it down and check the most probable first, but sometimes it's complicated so you're pulling every thread you can find.

I've never had any Linux distro load as slow as the 22.04 Ubuntu and Lubuntu from a DVD or a USB flash drive.

CDs and DVDs are easily located for little money in thrift stores everywhere and I've probably have 500 plus DVDs.

I still use VHS format and still have a Sony Betamax that works great and boxes full of NOS tapes for both.

I'd have to look for the discussion (which was a prior release; likely groovy [20.10, if not hirsute [21.04]) which involved Ubuntu Core devs on the reasons why it was slow.. but it was clear to me from stats of the users using that media in focal [20.04] the users were few, thus paid developer time was not going to be spent on returning the speed. Instead the focus was on speeding up boot for the majority of users (which meant thumb-drive or direct off disk) thus the location of files within the ISO mattered less (on very slow mechanical drives such as optical media it really matters; they are good only at reading sequentially; which is still ~good for the install process of the squashfs itself even if not boot/live session). Ubuntu at the time was modifying the boot such that all architectures for a release, booted the same identical way (ie. amd64, arm64, ppc64el, s390x, armhf, etc)

Sony beta - WOW. I long ago purchased a railway video in beta that I'd always meant to transfer. I still have loads of VHS; in fact there is a VHS player to my left below the non-flat screen TV; but the last two tapes I tried to play took ages to get out of the record/players... and I forget which players I wasn't supposed to use, so end up not using any.

I think I gotta keep VHS as just inside the entrance to my home is my Star Trek purpose built bookcase containing all Star Trek Videos (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT (those of ENT they produced in VHS anyway))... I don't use any of them using later media, but it's there & I was proud of it long ago.

@Bartman just a note for purposes of accuracy - at #32 it should be Ubuntu 22.04, not 20.04 - you can edit it, or I can.

Cheers

Chris

I haven't found anything on the main Ubuntu forums about the issues we've posted in this thread or at Lubuntu discourse forum.

Maybe I'm just not seeing them posted anywhere just curious nothing more.

Being a maths dude and a curious dude, I don't suppose I have access to these stats somewhere?

The only stats I know of are here: https://ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics

And, I'm betting those are incomplete stats that only show 'the most interesting' numbers.
Note: this is from memory; so little details maybe in incorrect.

Ubuntu Desktop & its then leader (Will Cooke) was trying to be engaged with the community and many blog posts were published, and Will Cooke provided links to ~raw data that generated many of the blogs that remain.

Ubuntu blog posts however regularly get posted, then deleted & sometimes a newer (different) post may replace it. As far as I know the raw data is still present but I've not looked since Will left Canonical & I can't recall who was owner of it (if on a Canonical site it'd still exist I suspect; he was a Ubuntu Member so people.canonical.com data is allowed).

I could try looking up old UWN posts for some clues; as we publish the stuff that survived until our last URL check before publish, but I'm very aware of some of what we see during just the collection stage of the weekly newsletter can result in stuff being dropped last minute [just before publish] as the links disappear.

The link you provided was from one of Will's pushes to be more open; but a quick look and it feels to me like one of the reduced or summary pieces that replaced the earlier much more in-depth pieces (the early ones provided the link to the data itself)

Last edited:
Don't spend you time looking. It's all good. I can do a Google deep-dive to see what springs up. It's idle curiosity and definitely not worth you investing any additional time (thanks for what you have invested, of course).

I just like data and numbers. Like, passionately... I mean, it kinda stands to reason that I'd like those things, as I spent half a lifetime making sure I could interpret such things. ;-)

And, I like their idea of openness. I think Canonical would do well to be more open, but that's just a personal opinion.

Also telling and just thought of...

If folks recall why I stepped up and started testing, it was because I learned why 32 bit support was dropped from Ubuntu - not enough testers (and users).

Well, at the statistics I linked to, that bears it out. You'll see that, in 2018 when 32 bit was still supported, 98% of the people using Ubuntu were using AMD64.

In Ubuntu's particular circumstances, dropping 32 bit support was just good business sense. Not only does Canonical have volunteer developers, they have paid developers. Continuing to invest in a dying market is just nonsensical.

Anyhow, I just wanted to remark on my revelation. 32 bit died due to people not using it and, more importantly, not testing it. While I have no 32 bit hardware/desktops, I do have empathy. So, I'll continue testing - even testing outliers - to help ensure continued support. The more hardware tested, the better the support.

I dunno what'll come after AMD64, but something surely will. When the time comes, I'll keep testing - probably both architectures, assuming there's an overlap.

Yeah, it's going to be a while before we need more than 64 bits. We'll surely move on eventually.

32 bit was pretty limited, but 64 bits offers a whole lot more. I'm sure something will eventually come down the pipes. I suspect we'll figure out a way to exhaust 64 bits and need something more - but have no idea how long it'll take.

I installed Xubuntu 22.04, around 2 weeks ago and I am more than happy so far. There was a bug at the beginning, but after a few updates, all the bugs are gone. Beautiful wallpaper, nice design, user-friendly, lightweight, and fast boot time (around 20 seconds) even with snap apps.

I am on Dell laptop, Intel i7, SSD, 8GB RAM. Yes, you can disable snap apps if you don't like them, but in my case, I am fine with them. Snap is not slow for me.
systemdanalyze2.png
Update snap software once per week: If you want to update snap software on Friday, between 17:00 and 23:00, just one time, copy and paste this command into the terminal and then type your password:
Code:
sudo snap set system refresh.timer=fri,17:00-23:00/1
After that, enter this command:
Code:
snap refresh --time
The snap refresh time command will tell you when will be the next update.

You can also set snap apps to run the updates manually or once per month. Details from the link below:

More useful tips from these links:

If you Google for the keyword Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu 22.04 review, you will find tons of positive reviews. If you don't want to use Google, you can use DuckDuckGo here.

These reviews below are some of them:

ubuntu2204review.png

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts