Ubuntu 22.04 audio issue

ranjitsinhb

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I'm encountering an audio issue with my HP Envy laptop 12th Gen Intel® Evo™ Powered by Core™ i5 Processor
running Ubuntu 22.04. I've disabled secure boot, and despite multiple attempts, including re-installs and adjustments in alsa-mixer and pavucontrol, the built-in speakers are not producing sound. Strangely, audio works perfectly with headphones. I'm reaching out for assistance to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-02-03 11-05-21.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-03 11-05-21.png
    220.8 KB · Views: 192

G'day, Welcome to Linux.org
2024-02-03_17-31.png
.....is that he mute sign I am seeing ?

In Terminal:

Code:
alsamixer

or
In the program: pavucontrol where you can click off the mute boxes if they are showing the mute is on.

then hit F5 to show all controls and make sure the volumes are high and nothing is muted. Elements that are muted would have: MM, at the base of the bars which can be toggled off using the m key.

best to check these first.

Last edited:
You could also try clicking the padlocks.

Wizard

In the program: pavucontrol where you can click off the mute boxes if they are showing the mute is on.

then hit F5 to show all controls and make sure the volumes are high and nothing is muted. Elements that are muted would have: MM, at the base of the bars which can be toggled off using the m key.

best to check these first.
I've already checked this and also reinstalled both, but unfortunately, there hasn't been any change.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-02-03 15-29-37.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-03 15-29-37.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 131
Share a screenshot of the pavucontrol "Configuration" tab, just so we can compare it to your devices listed under the tab "Output Devices"?

Share a screenshot of the pavucontrol "Configuration" tab, just so we can compare it to your devices listed under the tab "Output Devices"?
Ok attached

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-02-03 16-05-23.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-03 16-05-23.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 133
Ok attached
What other profiles do you have available under configuration for that device listed? Do you have a way to verify the internal speakers actually still work? As an example I've had one of my audio output ports on my motherboard go bad and was unable to get any sound working with my speaker connected to it. I then tried switching to the headphones port on my pc case and then my speakers were working again connected to the headphones audio output port on my pc case.

What other profiles do you have available under configuration for that device listed? Do you have a way to verify the internal speakers actually still work? As an example I've had one of my audio output ports on my motherboard go bad and was unable to get any sound working with my speaker connected to it. I then tried switching to the headphones port on my pc case and then my speakers were working again connected to the headphones audio output port on my pc case.
In Windows, the speakers work well. The issue seems to be specific to Ubuntu

This may seem silly but try

shut down the laptop
take off the battery
press the power button, to empty the capacitors or wait for 10 seconds
put the battery back
power on and see if it works
I did all and also reinstall ubuntu with 20.04 and 22.04

I did all and also reinstall ubuntu with 20.04 and 22.04
It appears at this point that a deeper investigation of the sound system would be helpful since the initial approaches of checking the mute status, and trying to "empty the capacitors" suggested in post #9 by @GatorsFan have not been successful in enabling sound.

Post #7 in this thread indicates the driver as: sof-hda-dsp. That suggests that the package: firmware-sof-signed ought to be installed. If it's not installed, you should install it and reboot to see if makes a difference.

Failing that, more information would help. Please check out the thread here:

Post #2 in that thread suggests the sort of information that would be helpful for readers to see what's what on your system. If you can supply the outputs to the suggested commands, that would likely, and hopefully, move the issue up another step towards resolution.

It appears at this point that a deeper investigation of the sound system would be helpful since the initial approaches of checking the mute status, and trying to "empty the capacitors" suggested in post #9 by @GatorsFan have not been successful in enabling sound.

Post #7 in this thread indicates the driver as: sof-hda-dsp. That suggests that the package: firmware-sof-signed ought to be installed. If it's not installed, you should install it and reboot to see if makes a difference.

Failing that, more information would help. Please check out the thread here:

Post #2 in that thread suggests the sort of information that would be helpful for readers to see what's what on your system. If you can supply the outputs to the suggested commands, that would likely, and hopefully, move the issue up another step towards resolution.
Screenshot from 2024-02-04 14-14-02.png

Thanks for that info.
There is no output for the command: lspci -nnkd ::403, so info on the drivers and modules aren't appearing. Since that command output is not present, you could run:
Code:
lspci -nnk |grep -A3 -i aud
which would help.

The sound devices are being controlled by pulseaudio, but you have pipewire installed and working. Pipewire is the linux replacement for pulseaudio, so it'd be preferable for it to be in control since it's installed and running. The package: pipewire-pulse has the pulseaudio replacement daemon, so if that's not installed, you ought to install that and restart the computer to see if pipeware can run the devices. It's a more efficient and capable sound server.

Do you have the package: firmware-sof-signed, installed?

Last edited:
Thanks for that info.
There is no output for the command: lspci -nnkd ::403, so info on the drivers and modules aren't appearing. Since that command output is not present, you could run:
Code:
lspci -nnk |grep -A3 -i aud
which would help.

The sound devices are being controlled by pulseaudio, but you have pipewire installed and working. Pipewire is the linux replacement for pulseaudio, so it'd be preferable for it to be in control since it's installed and running. The package: pipewire-pulse has the pulseaudio replacement daemon, so if that's not installed, you ought to install that and restart the computer to see if pipeware can run the devices. It's a more efficient and capable sound server.

Do you have the package: firmware-sof-signed, installed?
I have gone through both processes, but the audio is still not working.

What's the output of "inxi -A"?

I did come across some solution you could try.
1. Create a file: /etc/modprobe.d/audio.conf
2. Add the following content:
Code:
options snd-hda-intel mode=auto
Then reboot and check if your speaker audio output works, if it doesn't you can remove the file again and then reboot.

If that doesn't work change the input device to "Headset Mono Microphone" and check if the speaker output device starts working.
I came across those answers here, so they might be worth a try. And someone on the Arch forums also ran into this problem with this same driver. They run this manually after every reboot, so can you try running that to see what happens and share the output?
Code:
sudo modprobe -r snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl; modprobe snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl
Then check if your speaker sound works?

Last edited:
The inxi output indicates that an intel driver is missing ... N/A. The output of the command in post #15 may show what the device is in more detail and what the kernel sees. It may help if you supply the output.

I did come across some solution you could try.
1. Create a file: /etc/modprobe.d/audio.conf
2. Add the following content:
Code:
options snd-hda-intel mode=auto
Then reboot and check if your speaker audio output works, if it doesn't you can remove the file again and then reboot.

If that doesn't work change the input device to "Headset Mono Microphone" and check if the speaker output device starts working.
I came across those answers here, so they might be worth a try. And someone on the Arch forums also ran into this problem with this same driver. They run this manually after every reboot, so can you try running that to see what happens and share the output?
Code:
sudo modprobe -r snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl; modprobe snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl
Then check if your speaker sound works?
I have tried but Not working

Members online