Ubuntu 18.04.1 been released

• Thread starter Deleted member 35560
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35560

Just seen that Ubuntu has released 18.04.01
"The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (Long-Term Support) for its Desktop, Server, and Cloud products, as well as other flavours of Ubuntu with long-term support. As usual, this point release includes many updates, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS."

The above is a copy and paste of the release notes. Hopefully this will mean that bugs in other Ubuntu based distros will now be sorted as a result of this. Which is why I have placed it here in general thread not specifically in Ubuntu (if it should be moved then admins please do so)

My Ubuntu 18.04 seems to have updated to the 18.04.1 through the updates and whatever fixes it has installed and are working.

I don't know if I'll notice any changes or differences as Ubuntu 18.04 installed and worked OOTB without any problems on my old junk desktops.

Not sure what they were but I think it had to do with the GRUB2 problems> Not much information on the release notes from what I can see. It does seem have cleared up problems with other Ubuntu based distros from what I've seen

ptah said "" It does seem have cleared up problems with other Ubuntu based distros from what I've seen""

.....then maybe I can start thinking about an update to LM 19 without dramas of any kind......hmmmm

If you're thinking update from Linux Mint 18.x to Linux Mint 19 I don't know as I've had some issues with doing upgrades from version to version.

Make sure to remove any and all PPAs you've added before doing so.

I read HERE how to go about the upgrade. That article was written before any of the 'upgrade dramas' became apparent...July 9th.....not sure if any of the dramas necessitated the article being updated or not...?

The ZDNet piece says it is not easy....when in fact it is very easy...but then the piece is aimed at newbies.

Still hmmm

I noted your warning re ppa's....why is that ?

OOOOHHHH, I hate this :confused::confused:

Three days into the Mod's job and I have to make a mod-style observation :( (I might be the shortest-lived Moderator in town, but I like hammering spammers ;))

Hashes 4 to 6 -

Title of this thread is as seen above, comments on upgrading Linux Mint are better addressed at Ptah's other Thread here https://www.linux.org/threads/problems-with-installing-mint-19-tara.18714/ ... please.

Acting as a Devil's Advocate - we have a situation here where one Thread is in Mint, to do with problems, and that is appropriate, whereas this one was started as News, in General, and that could be considered appropriate.

Anyone whom knows me will know that stifling debate or dissemination of information is not my middle name. Quite the contrary :)

I have input into that (I am booking a spot, lol) with regard to an example of Unetbootin and the release of Bionic Beaver.

Maybe we can have some sort of Thread that deals with Updates/Upgrades across a number of Distros, and Troubleshooting. Think about it, won't you?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

OOOOHHHH, I hate this :confused::confused:

Three days into the Mod's job and I have to make a mod-style observation :( (I might be the shortest-lived Moderator in town, but I like hammering spammers ;))

Hashes 4 to 6 -

Title of this thread is as seen above, comments on upgrading Linux Mint are better addressed at Ptah's other Thread here https://www.linux.org/threads/problems-with-installing-mint-19-tara.18714/ ... please.

Acting as a Devil's Advocate - we have a situation here where one Thread is in Mint, to do with problems, and that is appropriate, whereas this one was started as News, in General, and that could be considered appropriate.

Anyone whom knows me will know that stifling debate or dissemination of information is not my middle name. Quite the contrary :)

I have input into that (I am booking a spot, lol) with regard to an example of Unetbootin and the release of Bionic Beaver.

Maybe we can have some sort of Thread that deals with Updates/Upgrades across a number of Distros, and Troubleshooting. Think about it, won't you?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I was just about to say about the Mint thread when I read this so didn't. I opened this up as it wasn't Mint specific and I know that many distros are Ubuntu based so will be influenced by this update - thanks Wiz

Always welcome friend, and thanks for understanding :)

Keep up the good work ;)

Wiz

I read HERE how to go about the upgrade. That article was written before any of the 'upgrade dramas' became apparent...July 9th.....not sure if any of the dramas necessitated the article being updated or not...?

The ZDNet piece says it is not easy....when in fact it is very easy...but then the piece is aimed at newbies.

Still hmmm

I've always read it was best to remove PPAs prior to an upgrade and at the moment I'm unable to produce documentation as to why.

I believe that when doing an upgrade that PPAs seem to or can conflict with some dependencies within the new version.
This information I read was on the Ubuntu forums or Linux Mint forums and it is possible that may no longer apply although uncertain.

https://ubuntuforums.org/

https://forums.linuxmint.com/

I seem to always have issues when I've done an upgrade so I always go for the clean install.

Make sure to remove any and all PPAs you've added before doing so.
Unable to produce documentation in regards to my above statement I'm now going to state that this may no longer apply to upgrading Linux Distros from one series to another as in Linux Mint 18 series to Linux Mint 19 series.

My apologies for any confusion I have created.

embarrassed.jpg

Not fussed re documentation...."" I believe that when doing an upgrade that PPAs seem to or can conflict with some dependencies within the new version""..makes a great deal of sense for me

I will follow that line of thought.

Thanks for the obvious efforts you have put in !

No apologies necessary.

Staff online