Trying to install a package manager inside kali?

israel sattleen

Reaction score
Credits
Synaptic says package is unavailable but is referred to by another package. Could not find gnome-software? I am lost where to go now? How do I get a package manager installed inside kali linux

This from the Kali docs [have you read the Kali docs.... search kali docs]

Even for experienced Linux users, Kali can pose some challenges. Although Kali is an open source project, it’s not a wide-open source project, for reasons of security. The development team is small and trusted, packages in the repositories are signed both by the individual committer and the team, and - importantly - the set of upstream repositories from which updates and new packages are drawn is very small. Adding repositories to your software sources which have not been tested by the Kali Linux development team is a good way to cause problems on your system.

Kali doesn't use synaptic package manager, it uses the deb package manager

Synaptic says package is unavailable but is referred to by another package. Could not find gnome-software? I am lost where to go now? How do I get a package manager installed inside kali linux
If you are in synaptic (as root or from sudo), you can click "Not installed" on the left side panel, then in the wider right side panel, navigate down to the packages named "gnome-software" and select all the ones you want as "Mark for installation", and then install them by hitting Apply.

Alternatively install with the apt command in a terminal. First you could search for all the packages with the gnome-software name in them with this command in a terminal:
Code:
apt-cache search gnome-software
Note the names of the ones you want and install them, as root or sudo user with:
Code:
apt install gnome-software....
inserting the full name from the output of the apt-cache command.

If you have trouble, firstly, ensure that your /etc/apt/sources.list is in proper order.

In any case you can visit the Kali repo to see what gnome-software packages it has in the directory here:

Last edited:
That strongly suggests that you've installed / configured apt-sources from other distributions or even ubuntu's PPA. You may have done so because Kali is not a general-purpose Linux distribution. You may have felt that in order to use Kali as a daily driver, using Gnome apps instead of the default XFCE ones would give you a better experience.

Those are common mistakes and if that is the case, you may have gotten an utterly broken Franken-Kali which would not be easy to recover (at all) unless you had made a backup.

Kali is an Ubuntu derivate, which means that it is a Debian derivate-derivate, and hence all that is explained in Don't Break Debian applies. You should stick to the applications and environment Kali offers, which only cares about to security professionals. If this is not enough for your general usage needs, you should use any other distribution. The fact that the group behind the distribution is recommending to use Kali in a bootable USB or in a VM, means that the user is meant to have a host operating system for their end-user tasks.

If you double down into trying to have Kali daily driving your tasks (regardless I think it's a generally bad idea but be my guest), consider installing Flatpaks or other sandboxed applications to avoid breaking Kali.

Members online