Troubles with stability on Linux

@Kaius :-

I tend to agree with my esteemed colleague, @Brickwizard . I think the biggest issue here is simply lack of resources for what you're wanting to do with your PC.

At the time when I maxed-out this HP Pavilion desktop rig to 32GB DDR4 RAM, that 32GB was still regarded as well OTT by most people. In the intervening years, with the advent of DDR5, and the far bigger modules it offers, you frequently see people posting about having 64GB or even 128GB. My 32 GB is now considered pretty mundane by today's standards..!

(Our very first laptop, a Dell, when we bought it back in 2001, came with the grand total of 128 MB of DDR1 RAM. And we thought that was a LOT..!)

Do bear in mind, also, that nowadays 8GB is considered the bare minimum for an acceptable experience when merely browsing, using an office suite, perhaps watching YouTube and/or listening to streaming music or editing photos. Given that some games are now being released with requirements for 120GB+ of storage, I think you'll agree that your machine is right at the very bottom end of the scale for this kinda thing.

I don't know much about Valve, Steam, etc; I'm not a 'gamer', although I DO occasionally spend the odd half-hour with indie titles like Xonotic, RedEclipse, UrbanTerror, etc. But I think it's probably fair to say that you need summat with a wee bit more grunt under the hood. Modern games are quite punishing on the hardware.

------------------------------------------

For the sort of stuff I do, mainly chatting on forums, watching NetFlix and YouTube, the odd bit of photo-editing, my old Dell Latitude D630 with 4 GB DDR2 RAM, running a featherweight distro like Puppy Linux, will manage OK. The Pavilion desktop rig is the task-cruncher; does a lot of video-editing, and that's why the 5+ TB storage and the 32GB RAM. And the Nvidia GPU lets the Openshot video editor 'offload' work to it whenever it can......GPUs being uniquely suited to that kind of work (more so than a general-purpose CPU, for instance.)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 21.1 on a 11 year old Laptop with only 4GB of Ram and the same Distro on my Tower with a new Motherboard...CPU and 16GB of Ram...both run perfectly because Mint is very stable and user friendly.
m1212.gif

just be aware, If you buy a brand new, cutting edge computer, you may have driver problems with Linux, once a new component comes out it can take up to a year before Linux drivers can be back engineered..
That's definitely true. The good thing is I now know more about graphics cards and their drivers than I ever wanted to know.

I've been trying out many linux distro's on my pc and a lot of them have been a bit unstable on my pc. So then i decided to install Debian due to it being stable, but it's still unstable. The package manager store which is called "discover" on Debian is unstable (The package manager stores on other distro's are also unstable) and sometimes i can't even reopen the settings app on Debian which results in me having to restart my pc. i've also had another really annoying problem on another distro called "manjaro" where the dolphin emu wouldn't even start games, and another problem where steam after a little bit just stopped connecting to valves server making it impossible for me to log back into the client.
I don't know if its just my computer or its just linux.

My computer: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Ultra-slim Desktop Business PC

My specs:
Intel Core i5 4570s
Intel HD Graphics 4600
8gb ram
240gb crucial ssd

I just want to know if it's a problem with my computer or if it's just linux is.
that is what I have on one of mine. I use fedora and it is solid and stable, I have no issues in any areas you mentioned. Maybe give fedora a try.

Members online