Trouble creating bootable

I appreciate it.
-ASUS VivoBook
-Model # X510UA-BB51-CB

I just tried one of the boot options that was involved with UnetBootin, when it went to automatically boot, it said "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" at the bottom

Last edited:

OK, any of the processors will be fine.

Asus vivobook X510UA
  • Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7 7500U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i5 7200U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i3 7100U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i7 8550U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i5 8250U Processor,
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro - ASUS recommends Windows 10 Pro.
    Endless OS
  • Memory
    up to 16 GB SDRAM(On selected models)
  • Display
    15.6" (16:9) LED backlit HD (1366x768) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 45% NTSC
    15.6" (16:9) LED backlit FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 45% NTSC with 178˚ wide-viewing angle display
    15.6" (16:9) LED backlit FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 45% NTSC
  • Graphic
    Integrated Intel HD Graphics
  • Storage
    Hard Drives:

500GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
    1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD
    2TB 5400RPM SATA HDD
    Solid State Drives:
    128GB SATA3 M.2 SSD
    Solid State Drives:
    256GB SATA3 M.2 SSD
    Solid State Drives:
    512GB SATA3 M.2 SSD
  • Keyboard
    Chiclet keyboard
    Illuminated Chiclet Keyboard(On selected models)
  • Card Reader
    Multi-format card reader (SD/SDHC)
  • WebCam
    VGA Web Camera
  • Networking
    Wi-Fi
    Integrated 802.11 AC (2x2)
    Bluetooth
    Built-in Bluetooth V4.2
  • Interface
    1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack
    1 x Type C USB3.0 (USB3.1 GEN1)
    1 x USB 3.0 port(s) Type A
    2 x USB 3.0 port(s)
    1 x HDMI
    1 x Fingerprint (On selected models)
  • Audio
    Built-in Stereo 2 W Speakers And Microphone
    Support Windows 10 Cortana with Voice
    ASUS SonicMaster Technology

Can you tell us about the highlighted parts, and where yours might differ. We know you have Windows 10 Home, but do you have Endless OS?

RAM, drives and sizes and types are important.

Cheers

Wizard

I just tried one of the boot options that was involved with UnetBootin, when it went to automatically boot, it said "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" at the bottom

It is possible your download of the relevant .iso was interrupted, or otherwise delivered a slightly affected result.

At Linux Mint, did you take a note of the SHA256sum algorithm for your download?

If not, tell us the exact name of your .iso downloaded.

Cheers

Wiz

I don't see anything about an Endless OS but here are the specs.

And here is the name of my download: linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit

Attachments

• Laptop Specs.JPG
    Laptop Specs.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 579
Here is what the inside of the USB File looks like.

Attachments

• Inside of file.JPG
    Inside of file.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 514
Ta Chris, I have been busy responding to false offers to buy this house....grrrr

OP can either do that or just download again. ((I have the feeling he will be downloading again anyway (in other words I suspect the first download is corrupt))

@A.O the nitty gritty is below the title
How to Compare Hash Functions on Any Operating System.....approx 1/3 rd of the way down the page....

It will be interesting to see if the d'load is in fact corrupted

Get-FileHash C: followed by the actual path of that d'load file......(the one which is already in unetbootin and the others you used)

Just to confirm, is this the right Format for my USB?

Attachments

• USB Format.JPG
    USB Format.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 581
Yep :)

Wiz

yes...fat32 is just fine

Oh my God. I decided to bail on Mint and went straight forward to Ubuntu Mate. Immediately worked. Im using it right now as a trial. I could Install it easy if I wanted to. Does running from "The hard disk" mean using it from the USB? That way I have a dual boot? I could just switch between the two? Btw thanks for the help and sorry for leaving you guys running around trying to help me. I really do appreciate it though.

The ubuntu d'load must have been a goodie !

Using ubuntu mate from the usb is called running it LIVE

If you were to click on "install" on the desktop, that would WIPE win 10 and install ubuntu on your hard drive......it would be the only OS (operating system) on there....windows 10 would be gone...kapoof !

A dual boot means to have BOTH windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same hard drive.....you can choose which one to run form a thing called a grub menu which shows at startup time

I would leave that for now. Have a play with ubuntu mate....i have not used it, but have been told it is good to use.

Have a serious play with it......you cannot do any harm.....if you do screw it up...all you have to do is reboot....back into ubuntu...and away you go again.

Keep in mind that any changes you make to ubuntu while it is running on the usb...such as setting up Firefox or Thunderbird email or whatever....will NOT be there after you have rebooted or taken the usb stick out. It will return to a stock standard ubuntu mate with no changes.

The ease which you obviously experienced in booting up ubuntu mate is how it should always happen......easy as pie.

See how you like ubuntu mate

Then repeat your success with Linux Mint

I smiled when I read of your success.....and I am sure wiz will too !

Thats more than OK.....if you decide later that you want to try out the dual boot thing......@wizardfromoz will guide you through the best/easiest way to achieve that

Have fun ! if you have any questions/problems, just let us know.

Members online