Touchpad Keeps Stops Working While Using Keyboard

blackneos940

Hey guys!..... :3 How are ya.....? :3 So I fired up Minecraft today, and started a new World..... Everything was going alright until I tried to turn while walking..... :< Oh noes!..... :3 For context, I'm running Lubuntu 19.04, with the Plasma 5 Desktop Environment..... :3 The Laptop is one my Mom gave me, and it's an HP EliteBook 8470p, with a Synaptics Touchpad..... :) I tried un-checking "Disable Touchpad While Typing", running
Code:
settings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad disable-while-typing false
, but nothing's working..... :< I even ran
Code:
syndaemon -i 1 -K -d
, but alas, no dice..... :( Any ideas guys.....? :3 Also, I plan on playing Minetest on this thing too, 'cuz they have outer space in it and all..... Plus, it's a fun game as well...... :3 Thanks for any replies guys..... :3

blackneos940

Thats normal, that also happens on raspbian, arch, manjaro, windows...

Just use a mouse that will be more fun.
:)
I wish I could..... :3 But alas, I have not enough room to use one..... :< It's weird, as I haven't had problems before.....

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Thats normal, that also happens on raspbian, arch, manjaro, windows..
Now THAT's interesting?

Adam, can you give us the output for

Code:
xinput --list
?

On Lubuntu, you will likely have to install xinput first.

Wiz

blackneos940

Now THAT's interesting?

Adam, can you give us the output for

Code:
xinput --list
?

On Lubuntu, you will likely have to install xinput first.

Wiz
Here ya go!..... :3

Code:
 Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ PS/2 Generic Mouse                          id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP HD Webcam [Fixed]: HP HD Web             id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wireless hotkeys                         id=13    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                              id=14    [slave  keyboard (3)]
Yeah, this Laptop works BEAUTIFULLY with Linux, as you can tell..... :3 It's just that ONE problem I have..... :3

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Thanks for the output Adam.

Before we go on, I would strongly urge you to install Timeshift and run a full, on demand snapshot, if you have not already done so.

We don't want to brick an otherwise good working system without a fallback. And there are so many variables with audio/video, wifi, peripheral devices that are essential such as pointing devices and keyboards - if you don't have Timeshift on, re-visit my Thread at

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask me any questions there.

If you are not sure if you have the room to set up a Timeshift partition on your Lubuntu box, give us the output for

Code:
df -ah /dev/sdxy
Where x and y are the alpha and numeric descriptors for your root partition, that is, your File System.

Also

Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/sdx

# followed by entering

F
Where my Lubuntu is, on /dev/sda2, it shows as

Code:
[email protected]:~$ df -ah /dev/sda2
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2        20G  5.9G   13G  32% /
and with the 2nd command

Code:
Command (m for help): F

Unpartitioned space /dev/sda: 1.8 TiB, 1914496352256 bytes, 3739250688 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes

Start        End    Sectors  Size

125831168  251660287  125829120   60G

293607424 3907028991 3613421568  1.7T
Thanks Mate.

As a flag of my intentions, I am brainstorming here, but looking to establish whether your Synaptics touchpad has certain capabilities, whether it is being handled by a Synaptics package or by libinput, etc.

Wiz

blackneos940

Thanks for the output Adam.

Before we go on, I would strongly urge you to install Timeshift and run a full, on demand snapshot, if you have not already done so.

We don't want to brick an otherwise good working system without a fallback. And there are so many variables with audio/video, wifi, peripheral devices that are essential such as pointing devices and keyboards - if you don't have Timeshift on, re-visit my Thread at

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask me any questions there.

If you are not sure if you have the room to set up a Timeshift partition on your Lubuntu box, give us the output for

Code:
df -ah /dev/sdxy
Where x and y are the alpha and numeric descriptors for your root partition, that is, your File System.

Also

Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/sdx

# followed by entering

F
Where my Lubuntu is, on /dev/sda2, it shows as

Code:
[email protected]:~$ df -ah /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2        20G  5.9G   13G  32% /
and with the 2nd command

Code:
Command (m for help): F

Unpartitioned space /dev/sda: 1.8 TiB, 1914496352256 bytes, 3739250688 sectors

Start        End    Sectors  Size

125831168  251660287  125829120   60G

293607424 3907028991 3613421568  1.7T
Thanks Mate.

As a flag of my intentions, I am brainstorming here, but looking to establish whether your Synaptics touchpad has certain capabilities, whether it is being handled by a Synaptics package or by libinput, etc.

Wiz
Ok, sorry I took so long to respond..... :3 I reinstalled everything, put Kubuntu on the Hard Drive I switched my old one with (it's a WD Blue! :D), and even got to re-install Windows 10, and the Windows 7 Pro Product Key sticker beneath the Battery got me Windows 10 Pro!..... :3 Anywho, everything is fine now, as this seems to be a Lubuntu problem..... :\ Weird..... But I'll have a look at Timeshift, and, as you requested, here's the output of the Commands you told me to enter..... :3

Code:

/dev/sda2       216G   66G  139G  33% /
[/CODE]

And

Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Disklabel type: dos

Disk identifier: 0x00000000