Too many hardware & software options - not enough knowledge

Thank you for your suggestions. I will more than likely follow a similar backup system such as you described, so I’ll do some shopping for the same or similar external drives. Appreciate you
In the meantime, if you have a flash drive available, they work too. Using Mint, I am able to get 3 timeshifts on a 128 gb. Not ideal. But it works.

I'm new to the Linux world too. One place I'll mention that you can find really good, well written info, is on KGill's blog. https://linux-tips.us/

(I just need him to write a tutorial on OPNsense so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong :D )

Last edited:

In the meantime, if you have a flash drive available, they work too. Using Mint, I am able to get 3 timeshifts on a 128 gb. Not ideal. But it works.

I'm new to the Linux world too. One place I'll mention that you can find really good, well written info, is on KGill's blog. https://linux-tips.us/

(I just need him to write a tutorial on OPNsense so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong :D )
That’s a superb idea, at least to begin with. I have several flash drives available to me at this current time - an ideal alternative as I hunt for some decently priced external drives. Thank you :)

I have already subscribed to the newsletter and had a wonder around the blog, great resource so thanks for sharing nonetheless :)

I hope your journey is treating you well

Another of the members here, @f33dm3bits, has good knowledge when it comes to gaming....in fact he has goodknowledge when it comes to just about anything concerning Linux. mentioning his name here will alert him to this topics existence.
I mostly do plug and play gaming and don't tweak further then looking for launch options and ProtonGE. I mostly use Steam with Proton and if needed Lutris for anything that is not available on Steam, that's about it.

Last edited:
I mostly do plug and play gaming and don't tweak further then looking for launch options and ProtonGE. I mostly use Steam with Proton and if needed Lutris, that's about it.
The best type of gaming is plug and play. Have you got any recent game recommendations?

@rs-24 :-

Linux has one major advantage going for it. As Bob says above, it'll run on almost anything.......especially stuff that's generally considered only fit for land-fill/recycling by Windows.

The only thing to bear in mind is that as you dig back through the years, older kit will generally work better with lighter-weight distros. As for the comment about 32-bit CPUs, you're talking around 20 years back for the last of those. Up till last year I was running a 'date-sympathetic' version of Puppy Linux on an ancient Dell Inspiron lappie with a 32-bit-only single-core Pentium 4, a gig of DDR1 RAM and a tiny 20GB plate-spinner (old-style hard drive). This was from 2001; long since abandoned and left for dead by the Redmond juggernaut, Linux kept it still alive and (mostly) useful......even though watching paint dry was perhaps a bit faster! "Leisurely" was the key-word here..... :D

Had to scrap it in the end, sadly, 'cos the graphics chip finally gave up the ghost.....but I was rather attached to it; had one of the best keyboards I'd ever found, and we'd been places together, the old girl and I. LOTS of places over the years!

Now, I'm using a 2008-era Dell Latitude. 64-bit dual-core Core2Duo, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, and a 128GB SSD which some fool had managed to "persuade" Win10 to run on. No idea if it did; the very first thing I did was to wipe the drive and install 'Puppy' to it instead.....

Exit madness, and enter sanity! Ahhh.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Point being, you can pick up perfectly serviceable kit, including refurbs from several years back, etc., online for a fraction of what you'll pay for a flimsy modern lappie with built-in obsolescence. Most will be more solidly-built, and they'll still have plenty of life left in them. I'll always recommend Dells, but older IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads and most Acers are apparently worth your time as well....

Just remember; the older the laptop, the "lighter" the distro required. Modern mainstream distros are getting so they need reasonably up-to-date hardware.......but on that hardware they'll not only run rings around Windows, they'll kick its butt in the process.

Mike. :p

Last edited:
The best type of gaming is plug and play. Have you got any recent game recommendations?
What type of games are you into?

Here's some of my recommendations that I have personally played on Linux with either no issue, or minimal issues:

FPS:
  • Counter Strike 2
  • Black Mesa
  • Squad
  • Hell Let Loose
  • Battlefield 1
  • Battlefield V
  • Doom
  • Doom Eternal
  • Ground Branch
  • Insurgency Sandstorm
MMO's/Open World:
  • Elder Scrolls Online
  • World of Warcraft
  • Star Citizen
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Final Fantasy 14
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • New World
Racing:
  • Ride 4 (haven't played the new one yet)
  • Need for Speed Unbound
  • Need for Speed Heat
  • Forza Horizon 5