Today's article tries to explain what a distro is...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
... in layman's terms, as much as possible.

It's not really aimed at the people who post here often. It's meant for the rank beginner who may have all sorts of strange ideas about Linux and how it works.

Feedback is awesome.

I think you can go without the "lowest common denominator" since we're not talking about assembly language or those naughty executables.

A distro sends spark to your spark plugs.

I think it's apt description.

GNU gets quite a bit of ink in the article.

Not so much these days, really... They're a dying breed.

Well, as far as i'm concerned you wanted help with your article, or at least that's what it seemed like. "Lowest common denominator" is just a semi-political way of establishing one. But yes, i agree, the linux is the kernel, and a distro is a distribution, and GNU is something else entirely.

Well, as far as i'm concerned you wanted help with your article, or at least that's what it seemed like.

Oh, by all means, any feedback (constructive or not) is appreciated. I just don't act on all of it, unless it's a mistake or an oversight. Writing for the lowest common denominator is one of my favorite expressions, and can be pretty difficult - which is why I enjoy it when I get to do so.

It's not meant as a slight, it's meant to invite even new people (who'd have no reason to know what a distro is) to read it and understand it.

Hmm... Lemme find a link...

The 2nd definition, though M-W makes it sound meaner than it is. But, many people are completely ignorant of what 'a distro' even means. We were once those people.

Oh, by all means, any feedback (constructive or not) is appreciated. I just don't act on all of it, unless it's a mistake or an oversight. Writing for the lowest common denominator is one of my favorite expressions, and can be pretty difficult - which is why I enjoy it when I get to do so.

It's not meant as a slight, it's meant to invite even new people (who'd have no reason to know what a distro is) to read it and understand it.

Hmm... Lemme find a link...

The 2nd definition, though M-W makes it sound meaner than it is. But, many people are completely ignorant of what 'a distro' even means. We were once those people.

yeah i got it, it's just the only thing i had to contribute to your article, since people tend to just want simple technology that doesn't break. People say "lowest common denominator" all the time in activist circles, i'm all about "the highest common denominator" ;).

To be completely honest the worst thing i saw in the article were those ads, but that's a sensitive topic so i just held my tongue....and my recommendation that you talk about specific distros is probably unfair and too aggressive because this monstrous graph certainly doesn't cover them:

To be completely honest the worst thing i saw in the article were those ads, but that's a sensitive topic so i just held my tongue...

The ads are completely automatic - even letting Google decide where and when to place them. I didn't really want to screw with doing it manually.

And, yeah... Google likes to pepper the site with ads - but they're not really all that contextual. Google doesn't do much of that anymore. They place ads that they think will appeal to you.

I should probably take the time to learn how to place them manually and severely reduce the number of them that get posted. 3 per page would be more reasonable.

Members online