Today's article is me trying yet another formatting option...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's also in the terminal, because of course it is.

It's about managing tar files, archives really. You'll find .tar files all over the place, often compressed because they don't do any compressing on their own. Without a whole lot of thinking, you could even make a tar.zip file. In fact, I'm sure someone already has. Heck, if you don't mind proprietary compression algorithms, you could even make a tar.rar file. I'm sure someone has done that at least once.

Anyhow, this article is me trying some more formatting options. I've written the vast majority of the site to a formula. For the most part, all the articles look the same. I like that format, but it's not always that interesting to write to that format - and some subjects simply don't fit well into that format. Lately, I've been trying different formats.

There has also been a trend to make each article longer (with an exception here and there). They all take a similar amount of time to write, which is nice. Being able to type quickly is a big benefit. If I had to hen-peck my way around the keyboard, we'd have never had a third article - and possibly not even a second article. So, that's nice...

Anyhow, today we manage files in a .tar file. We create, we add, we delete, and we edit files in a tar file. This time, I've given some pretty explicit instructions. That seemed the most suitable format for this article. There are some older articles that I might just have to redo with a better formatting solution.

Thoughts on the formatting? I think all the code is correct. I tested everything more than once but copy/paste and writing from memory may have introduced errors but I didn't spot any glaring errors.

I kind of like the formatting. It did take a bit longer, but not exceptionally so. I generally plan on an hour per article, more if I think I need to do more research for that article. I think this article took just a bit over an hour to write and that's partially because formatting in WordPress can be finicky - if you want any complex formatting at all.

Staff online

Members online