Timeshift unmark delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzell

Reaction score
Credits
I have marked for deletion a TS snapshot that I now want to restore (!) but can find no way to remove the 'marking'. Anybody know how?

G'day Edzell, Welcome to linux.org

On the pic below I assume you have highlighted one snapshot, and then right clicked and selected "Mark for deletion"

If this were me I would click on Settings, and then on Schedule, and UNtick the monthly, weekly, daily hourly and boot snapshot levels.

This should disable the next scheduled run, and therefore leave the desired snapshot intact.

From that point on, I am unsure. I also use timehsift but have not encountered this particular problem.

our moderator does have more experience with Timeshift than I do....by listing his username below it will alert him that help is needed here.

@wizardfromoz

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and response, Condobloke. I'm new to this forum so don't know my way around. I'm 'experienced but inexpert' using Mint (17.3) and even less/more so with linux. I've been doing my TS backups manually to an external drive. There are no scheduled events so, sadly, I can't delete them.

I didn't see the picture you referred to (but that's not a problem) and I don't know how/where to add the Moderator's name as suggested. Please bear with me. I'm not only inexpert; I'm old & increasingly slow-witted. Lied seriously about my age on sign-up, for some reason.

and I don't know how/where to add the Moderator's name as suggested.
To mention someone so as to get their attention simply compose a post or reply and include the user name with an @ symbol in front of it. A small window with suggested user names will drop down.
Select a user from the list. The user will receive a notice that they have been mentioned.
Like this:
@wizardfromoz
or @Edzell

Now I am curious too regarding the Timeshift snapshot marked for deletion.
I experimented and now I also have a snapshot marked for deletion and cannot 'un-mark' it!
:rolleyes: Doh!

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, having Shifted through Time to get here)

You rang?

I am just finishing my 2nd morning coffee (4 makes me appear human, a little) and will take a screenshot and be back.

@Vrai ... nyuk nyuk nyuk - but seriously, duplicating a problem is a good way to find if you can solve it, goodonyer.

Back in a flash

Wizard

Back in a flash

I lied, I'll be a bit longer, but I want to be accurate.

As Little River Band sang "Hang on, help is on its way, and I'll be there as fast as I can".

Edzell. and Vrai can do something for me.

In Timeshift top right-hand side is the hamburger menu (3 horizontal lines) - click and check About for the TS version and report back, please.

Wiz (poof)

Thanks all; I have TS v.17.2. The hamburger would let me refresh snapshots which I'm very reluctant to do. Presumably would delete those so marked? Also I could view logs. I opened one but it's a bit involved on what's probably the last week when I can get a bit done in the garden. (That's a displacement activity; avoiding the need to try & fathom the meanings of the log file.)

@wizardfromoz
Timeshift version 19.08

Here is a screenshot. As can be seen the "Delete" and "Mark for Deletion" context menu items are 'greyed out'. I could find no option to reverse this action :/

Headed over to https://teejeetech.in/ to see if any insight there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Timeshift_001.png

@Vrai
@wizardfromoz
Vrai, thanks. I did understand that was the screen wiz was referring to, even though I din't see any attached screenshot.

My reason for wanting to undelete a snapshot is to restore from it, so as to recover then-current data (held in an app, not in my data partition.) Now I'm thinking maybe I can dig into the snapshot files on my external backup and find the data there.

Of course I should have backed up that data separately, as I always intend to do, before making the snapshot :(.

(Edited to add) - I didn't see anything in the link you provided, that seemed to help with 'unmarking' or recovering a snapshot. Was worth a try though.

Regrets on delays.

Vrai may have joy with this, Edzell not so sure but can try. Your version 17.2 Edzell, I don't go back as far as, but I'll ask more about that later.

Try the following and report back on outcome please

1. right-click on the marked snapshot and choose "browse files",
  2. go to the upper folder (..),
  3. delete the delete file.

It has been suggested to Tony George, Timeshift's author that it would be a very nice feature to add a "unmark for deletion" button.
More to follow.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW Edzell, let us know your timezone and I'll try to work with that :)

Regrets on delays.

Vrai may have joy with this, Edzell not so sure but can try. Your version 17.2 Edzell, I don't go back as far as, but I'll ask more about that later.

Try the following and report back on outcome please

1. right-click on the marked snapshot and choose "browse files",
  2. go to the upper folder (..),
  3. delete the delete file.

It has been suggested to Tony George, Timeshift's author that it would be a very nice feature to add a "unmark for deletion" button.
More to follow.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW Edzell, let us know your timezone and I'll try to work with that :)
Aha! Very clever @wizardfromoz ! :)
I had "browsed" the snapshots previously but did not dig deep enough.
I also noted that even though I have only one snapshot on the date prescribed there are two folders of same.
I did find the "delete" file and deleted it. Fingers crossed.
Wondering where in the heck @wizardfromoz found that information.
Perhaps he actually is a wizard!
I scoured teegees site and found nothing referring to "delete" nor "undelete".
Some screenshots:
Timeshift_002.png

Timeshift_003.png

Ah, this is getting very embarrassing. I can no longer identify the marked snapshot. Maybe it's deleted! I'm presently running from a restored earlier snapshot that's missing some data that was on the marked one. I have some ideas about what to try/explore next, but am not adept at maintaining an online conversation while doing so. I'll fiddle around a bit and report when I think I know what I've done. Might be a while.

I'm on the southwest coast of Canada, Pacific time zone; GMT minus 8 (or is it plus 8?) Let's see, my window faces west and the sun travels left to right .... Anyway I'm only irregularly at the computer, and often insomniac so don't worry about it, so long as you can be patient waiting for any reply.

Thanks for all the help so far (not to mention the banter.)

Here I am again (sounds of groaning.) Here's what I did:

1. Create sacrificial experimental snapshot
2. Mark it for deletion
3. Follow Wiz's suggestion:

- right-click on the marked snapshot and choose "browse files",
- go to the upper folder (..),
- delete the delete file.

Results:
- Snapshot still appears on TS list
- On R. click, 'delete' & 'mark for deletion' are greyed out.
- But I can successfully restore from the snapshot !

Next:
- Open snapshot data stored on external drive (Complete list is there including those deleted from Timeshift app.)

- Drill down to find my app's data in appropriate-date snapshot; copy it.

- Close the app & paste the copied data file into its folder, overwriting the one it's using.

- Reopen the app et voila! The data I wanted has been restored.

I guess that was kind of clunky and low-tech, but it worked.

Thanks for recommending that an 'unmark snapshot' option be added to Timeshift.

No need for embarrassment around here, Mate :)

We all make booboos and I have made some doozies, even with Timeshift.

That's wonderful news, Edzell :)

What I will likely do a little later in my afternoon is copy the Posts above to my Timeshift Thread, which is here

https://linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and then lock this thread to divert readers there.

Our posts here will be around page 11 or 12.

Should be effected in 12 hours or so. Any future questions on Timeshift you can ask them there.

BTW (by the way) don't think for a moment I am making an example of you, for ridicule, anyone here will tell you I don't do that.

But if you are old enough to know the saying "There is nothing new under the sun" - most everyone here has walked in your footsteps which is why the path is so well-beaten.

Later, all - enjoy your Linux

Chris

BTW (by the way) don't think for a moment I am making an example of you, for ridicule, anyone here will tell you I don't do that.

Chris
@wizardfromoz
No such thought entered my head. All I saw was helpful suggestions delivered in a lighthearted, slightly 'cheeky' way. Perfect and just my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online