Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Follow us on twitter - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages. https://twitter.com/linuxdotorg
    Dismiss Notice

Thunderbird - POP3 to IMAP

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Pierre LaMontagne, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Pierre LaMontagne

Pierre LaMontagne New Member

Hi all,

I've recently switched OSes from Windows 7 (64-Pro) to Ubuntu Linux Mate 18.1

I was using T'bird on my Win PC. T'bird came with Ubuntu & so I set it up as a POP3 account, The same as on my Win PC. A little while later, it occurred to me, after doing a little research, that using IMAP would be better for my situation So, I changed my Win PC T'bird configuration over to IMAP. Now, I would like my Ubuntu PC to be IMAP too, but I've been unable to be successful at re-configuring my T'bird account in Ubuntu. I keep scratching my head as no matter what I try, nothing works. I even thought of uninstalling T'bird & reinstalling it, but I don't know how. :(

I'm very new to Ubuntu & so I don't know how to do a whole lot, yet, much less reconfigure T'bird.

Can someone please walk me through the correct procedure?
    THANX in advance!

Also, what does it mean every time that I start T'bird I get an error "Unable to open spool file"?

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

2. Condobloke

Condobloke Well-Known Member

G'day Pierre, and Welcome to Linux.org

"unable to open spool file' hopefully will disappear when we get Thunderbird set up correctly

The settings shown below will help (I hope)
    Server Type: IMAP Mail Server
    Server Name: imap.gmail.com Port 993
    Connection Security: SSL/TLS
    Authentication method: 0Auth2

In addition.......On your win 7 PC....Open Thunderbird.......click on 'Edit".......then 'Account Settings'....then click on server settings (at the top)

Write down the info there that you will need...or if these are two separate PC's yopu may be able to have win 7 open on one and Linux open on the other.......and just move between the two pc's checking/rectifying the necessary info as you go.

My page in Thunderbird looks as below...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps clear out the gremlins.