Thunderbird contacts

J

jonnyc

Cannot find an address book or contacts list to import my contacts from my webmail. Is there a plug-in or suchlike that I need to download to do this? ( Thunderbird ?.?.......can't find the version! No help/about tab.)

JC

Are your contacts on Gmail?

No, that a/c got hijacked a couple of years ago.
I'm now on Orange, France, where I live. It's all pretty standard though.
My problem is that I can find (from "write a message") the empty contact list and the means to enter contacts one by one, but no means to import contacts either directly from the webmail site or from the CSV file that I made from Orange.
I canny believe that a desktop prog could be on offer without this very basic function. Therefore I'm being particularly dense, or there's an add-on somewhere to provide this function.
AGHhhh.............!

JC

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but in Thunderbird, you can open "Events and Tasks" from the top menu area, then choose Import. That selection defaults to iCalendar (*.ics) files to import, but the dropdown arrow will let you choose "Outlook Comma Separated Values (*.csv)" files. I've never used this so I don't know if it will be effective.

Cheers!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but in Thunderbird, you can open "Events and Tasks" from the top menu area, then choose Import. That selection defaults to iCalendar (*.ics) files to import, but the dropdown arrow will let you choose "Outlook Comma Separated Values (*.csv)" files. I've never used this so I don't know if it will be effective.

Cheers!

OK, "dense" it is!
Thank you very ,very much!

JC

LOL, not dense! It's a pretty seldom used function, I think. I hope it works okay for you.

Cheers!

I've used the CSV import / export to and from Thunderbird in the past. Importing in works "fairly well" - there are always tags that get dorked up (home Email vs work Email and the like), but overall it gets you most of the way there.

It's sometimes easier to import and fix than to re-type all of that.

I also used the Thunderbird export to a CSV to import to Google to load to a cell phone. Again, same small issues, but it does work fairly well.

I've used the CSV import / export to and from Thunderbird in the past. Importing in works "fairly well" - there are always tags that get dorked up (home Email vs work Email and the like), but overall it gets you most of the way there.

It's sometimes easier to import and fix than to re-type all of that.

I also used the Thunderbird export to a CSV to import to Google to load to a cell phone. Again, same small issues, but it does work fairly well.

Wont do it from my linux system. I think there must be a prob with the installation.
Tried it on a Windows box and got "not available for now, bug no. XXXXX..."
Enough!! I'm now looking at Zimbra; maybe i'll have better luck there.

JC
Update: Tried Zimbra; CLI install. Predictably "error this,error that". I'm just not informed enough for that kind of thing.
Next stop Claws Mail. Started off asking me about "pop3, imap, stmp server address etc." ...............
................. Whoosh,- bum's rush!
Where to now?
This all started when I (somehow) lost all my emails from my webmail server but to my great delight I found them in a previous Thunderbird install, which demonstrated the value of a desktop mail client.
If I can't come up with a viable desktop option then maybe the way to go would be to use another webmail programme which allows the import of mail from other apps. That way I'd have to have the same disaster on both programmes to lose all the mail.
I'll keep trying.

JC

Update:- I've found that the thunderbird install has an option to delete mails from the webmail server after 14 days and this is enabled by DEFAULT. Hence the reason all my mail disappeared after 14 days! Can't beleive it! BE WARNED! What a wankerism! Someone needs firing!

However I still have the emails, but it looks like I'll have to keep thunderbird for evermore cos I can't find any way to park them in my new email app which is Opera Next. I found it after discovering the hard way that Opera had stopped doing the Email app (after almost tearing what remains of my hair out)!
Nother wankerism!
Really getting pissed off with all this........However Opera Next seems to be the business.
Very impressed with the browser, and even if the email client turns out to be jobbies, I'll keep the browser.
Still, I suppose it could be described as progress !!

Any help welcome. ( No boasters).

Last edited:

Members online