Thoughts on my plan for a home network?

I can't even imagine. And I don't want to try.

50+ containers and I've not found a use for just one as yet.
I run game servers, fediverse instances, a wiki, a forum, monitoring software, password vault, cloud software, you name it.

I use docker because I don’t want dependency hell and dont want people breaking into one service immediately having control of all of them. ;)

The issue with hacking is that it makes sense for more things than „financial records“.
The vast majority of financial records now adays are worthless to hackers anyways...like, your bank statement only has part of your account number listed.

The vast majority of financial records now adays are worthless to hackers anyways...like, your bank statement only has part of your account number listed.
Gotta ask .... Does your screen name and icon have anything to do with Fallout?

No idea if thats all bank statements but the jackpot is your browser, really. Most people have passwords gallore saved in there without any real protection. Next best thing is your emails and chats with sensitive information. When your aunt writes you they need 500$ immediately and call you by your nickname, don’t think everyone will know they’re being scammed.

Your first issue really would be your connection via your router and if you have high speed internet. If your router fails you might want to try a wired connection LAN cable. Use the IP address 192.168.32.100 and 192.168.32.24 a secure connection can only really be established with a decent VPN/firewall in place. As you say you have ditched microsoft this won’t be so easy. I’m not sure how you would setup said VPN/firewall but it might be best to do some research to find the best option for you. Their are many packages out there which support a secure connection.

Gotta ask .... Does your screen name and icon have anything to do with Fallout?
no, i just like the vim text editor. Is there some fallout character named vim? I kinda get how the art looks fallout-esque.

no, i just like the vim text editor. Is there some fallout character named vim? I kinda get how the art looks fallout-esque.
Vim is a drink brand/manufacturer in FO4. Funny how a fella pushing 60 years old knows that. :cool:

Your first issue really would be your connection via your router and if you have high speed internet. If your router fails you might want to try a wired connection LAN cable. Use the IP address 192.168.32.100 and 192.168.32.24 a secure connection can only really be established with a decent VPN/firewall in place. As you say you have ditched microsoft this won’t be so easy. I’m not sure how you would setup said VPN/firewall but it might be best to do some research to find the best option for you. Their are many packages out there which support a secure connection.
where did you get the idea that a vpn requires anything microsoft? Maybe I‘m missing something. I dont have a windows machine either and my phone is apple (legacy), still I use my vpn very often.

Also, why those specific IP adresses?

where did you get the idea that a vpn requires anything microsoft? Maybe I‘m missing something. I dont have a windows machine either and my phone is apple (legacy), still I use my vpn very often.

No you're right, there are all sorts of VPNs available for linux users. NordVPN (IMO the best one since it has a kill switch by default, which shuts your internet off if the VPN becomes compromised) apparently accommodates linux users. I don't know what Sky is getting at, seems like their understanding of software compatibility is a little outdated. Getting software to work with linux takes a little more effort than with windows, yet all you really need is some basic familiarity with the command line and linux packaging systems. Of course, forums like this exist because it's not always straightforward and intuitive.

Also, I can testify that Proton VPN works very well for debian based systems, but i didn't want the payed version so I ended up not using it anymore.

No you're right, there are all sorts of VPNs available for linux users. NordVPN (IMO the best one since it has a kill switch by default, which shuts your internet off if the VPN becomes compromised) apparently accommodates linux users. I don't know what Sky is getting at, seems like their understanding of software compatibility is a little outdated. Getting software to work with linux takes a little more effort than with windows, yet all you really need is some basic familiarity with the command line and linux packaging systems. Of course, forums like this exist because it's not always straightforward and intuitive.

Also, I can testify that Proton VPN works very well for debian based systems, but i didn't want the payed version so I ended up not using it anymore.
I was also checking out Twingate. Which does Zero Trust Network Access and touted as being better than a VPN. However, IMO, they make it clear that they don't really care about your privacy. Reason I say that boils down to them having only 4 options to create an account. Sign in with your account at Google, Microsoft, Github or Linkedin. None of which I have. Nor am I getting. (If I had to, maybe a Github account.)

I was also checking out Twingate. Which does Zero Trust Network Access and touted as being better than a VPN. However, IMO, they make it clear that they don't really care about your privacy. Reason I say that boils down to them having only 4 options to create an account. Sign in with your account at Google, Microsoft, Github or Linkedin. None of which I have. Nor am I getting. (If I had to, maybe a Github account.)
Twingate seems to be as compatible with Linux/FOSS philosophy as Microsoft and Azure itself. proprietary crap, aimed at creating the strongest vendor lock possible.

I would suggest to never use anything proprietary for such an essential part like connection (vpn) except if you absolutely have to. Generally, I‘d keep far away from anything aimed at enterprises because of unnecessary bloat.

While on a project, I keep the companies I work with away from proprietary stuff as much as possible, not only because I believe in FOSS but because vendor lock ins are very dangerous imo, especially for small companies.

I would suggest to never use anything proprietary for such an essential part like connection (vpn) except if you absolutely have to. Generally, I‘d keep far away from anything aimed at enterprises because of unnecessary bloat.
I'm still pretty far off from a decision on what route I'm going to take. I came across them while doing research yesterday and went to see what it was about. Went looking for more info and stumbled upon their signup page and saw the requirement of those 4. It all stopped right there. I find it strange that a company would offer a service that is geared toward security/privacy force users to tie their Microsoft, Google, etc accounts to it. Surprised they didn't have Facebook as an option.

And I will be using FOSS.

I'm still pretty far off from a decision on what route I'm going to take. I came across them while doing research yesterday and went to see what it was about. Went looking for more info and stumbled upon their signup page and saw the requirement of those 4. It all stopped right there. I find it strange that a company would offer a service that is geared toward security/privacy force users to tie their Microsoft, Google, etc accounts to it. Surprised they didn't have Facebook as an option.

And I will be using FOSS.
You might consider that strange, but FOSS is inevitably tied to computing used in the proprietary sense. You have to understand that internet privacy is an oxymoron, but the "bad actors" don't necessarily use your information against you, and also can't always use your information to steal from or defraud you in any way.

I saw some ads a while back for "no trust security" a while back, and concept seems riddled with contradictions and problems.

You might consider that strange, but FOSS is inevitably tied to computing used in the proprietary sense. You have to understand that internet privacy is an oxymoron, but the "bad actors" don't necessarily use your information against you, and also can't always use your information to steal from or defraud you in any way.

I saw some ads a while back for "no trust security" a while back, and concept seems riddled with contradictions and problems.
I‘d say it depends on which bad actors specifically you mean.

Using ssh over the internet doesn’t make you anonymous but has pretty good encryption afaik.

Like sending post cards with encrypted text on them. A person could intercept them, read them but it‘s more work to decrypt than its worth because your neighbor sends his postcards unencrypted. Criminals arent stupid. They know risk assessment as well.

As the saying goes, when hunted by a bear, you don’t need to be the fastest runner, only faster than your friends.

And the big corpos arent bears, they make „bear food catalogues“ and offer free services for those who sign up to be displayed in the catalogue.

For sure. But that doesn't mean I have to make it easy for them.:cool:
and my point is that if you don't trust strangers who try to contact you, and you don't make information about your home server project publicly available, then you are already winning. You are the only person who can decide how much security you need, and whether having the server at all makes any sense from a practical/monetary point of view.

Using ssh over the internet doesn’t make you anonymous but has pretty good encryption afaik.
It's also more secure to require certificates when doing SSH than just making your root access password protected, because then even if someone gets a hold of your password, then they can't login without it being an authorized device.

Apologies, I didn’t realise you were using an Apple device. As far as IP addresses go, you don’t have to use those specifically.

Use the IP address 192.168.32.100 and 192.168.32.24 a secure connection can only really be established with a decent VPN/firewall in place. As you say you have ditched microsoft this won’t be so easy.

Heh. An attitude I simply don't understand, yet one I've come to expect from fanbois. I haven't had owt to do with the beast of Redmond for around a decade, yet I can do absolutely anything a Windows user can do, OR expect to do.....and then some.

It's not just Windows, OR Apple. No OS has got 100% God-given rights to cause anything to happen, despite what they'd like you to think.

And the beauty of doing things on our side of the fence is that I can make modifications to any item of software I want to, because there's no restrictions on doing so.

(I'm also curious about those 2 IP addresses. I can't see anything special about them, so.....what gives?)

Mike. ;)

Members online