Things I Learned (So Far) From Using Linux...

B

blackneos940

#1 Just because it's GNU/Linux, doesn't mean it's always going to be fast..... For instance, using Kubuntu on a Chromebook with 2GB of RAM might be slower than some OTHER lighter Distros..... :(

#2 GNU/Linux is QUITE resilient, but not IMMUNE..... An example would be the semi-recent Ubuntu Forums hack, or $hell$hock, all of which seemed to affect Servers only, namely those who didn't keep their Systems updated..... :) Thanks to @ryanvade for this bit of info!..... :)

#3 There will be criticism and opposition, because it's not what Corporations are USED to..... :) But, as time will prove, GNU/Linux, and as a whole, the FOSS Community, and FOSS itSELF, will lead innovation, and force people to think creatively, so that they can INDEED profit from FOSS..... :) One example would be Red Hat, while another example would be SUSE, as well as System76, and yes, Facebook, Twitter, Google..... The list goes on..... :3

So what do you think.....? Oh yeah....... Thanks to FOSS, THIS site ITSELF is possible..... :D Well, obviously, people are needed to make this all work, and always WILL be..... :D

Last edited:

FOSS is the future of operating systems. you can see the pressure that Microsoft is facing to adopt a foss business model
Hey, if Microsoft went FOSS, I would be ECSTATIC..... :) 'Course, such a thing isn't easily done OVERNIGHT now..... ;)

Hey, if Microsoft went FOSS, I would be ECSTATIC..... :) 'Course, such a thing isn't easily done OVERNIGHT now..... ;)
Even if all Mickey$oft software went FOSS, it wouldn't help. All their O/S and other software are written so bad, it would take a full rewrite from the bottom up to make them even halfway stable and secure!

Better to put the effort of all the FOSS programmers towards making Linux, and all other FOSS software more mainstream for everyone. Come to think of it, isn't that what we are currently doing? ;^)

@rstanley as much as i am not a Microsoft fan their software is of a very good quality.
What @rstanley said is, in other words, MS would be ashamed of exposing their almost always dirty code - too much of a quirk to the good programming practices.

Their end-user software, designed for, say, pure newbie-friendliness, is simply mainstream. It's been practically a monopoly for the average joe for decades: the main reason why so many assume it's quality. Most people are used to it, when not extensively trained to use it.

MS just wants programs to "work", no matter how oddly optimized... Very redneck of them.

Throwing in an irrefutable example: despite the fact MS is popular among pc users, their OS is not broadly adopted by the online big business because it's not stable or secure enough.

Last edited:
@rstanley as much as i am not a Microsoft fan their software is of a very good quality.
I disagree. From a user standpoint, their software appears to work fine, but from a programmer, and IT Professional's standpoint, their source code is some of the worst ever written. We don't need to see the source to know this as fact!

The incredible number of Malware, (MALicious softWARE) is evidence of the flaws in their software. Why hasn't Mickey$oft re-written their software to correct for these flaws??? I doubt they ever can at this point.

Many authoritative sites claim different numbers, but even assuming 50% of the numbers claimed by any of these sites, clearly show the increasing number of attacks on Mickey$oft's software. See: AV-TEST for a graphic example of these facts.

Yes, there are Malware for Open Source software, Linux O/S, Android O/S, & apps, and Apple's O/S & software, but the numbers are minimal, in comparison. Plus FLOSS's ability to quickly diagnose and correct these flaws, show the strength of FLOSS software.

The Linux BASH CLI (Command Line Interface) alone is far more powerful than any Windows GUI ever thought of being. They created the Windows Powershell in response, but it's not even close! ;^)

Having used some Microsoft technologies for various contract gigs, I can say this: Either their stuff is either very simple and easy to use - to the point of being useless for real work, OR it's so complex and configurable, it's difficult to use for any real work. Their .NET technology is a prime example. So is Visual Studio.

I much prefer the Unix world view of one tool that is perfect for one job, rather than trying to be all things to all people. (Shame about systemd ;)

Even if all Mickey$oft software went FOSS, it wouldn't help. All their O/S and other software are written so bad, it would take a full rewrite from the bottom up to make them even halfway stable and secure!

Better to put the effort of all the FOSS programmers towards making Linux, and all other FOSS software more mainstream for everyone. Come to think of it, isn't that what we are currently doing? ;^)
Yeah, but it would be a start..... :D I mean, I can see what you're saying about trying to stick to certain things, but as it seems, there are PLENTY of people to fix that code..... :) I see more diversity of multiple FOSS OSs as a GOOD thing, INCLUDING as from a security standpoint...... Adding one more to that list couldn't hurt..... :3 (Though, coming from a company who's former CEO said GNU/Linux is CANCER, and called us freeloaders, I have my doubts..... PLENTY of doubts....... :()

What @rstanley said is, in other words, MS would be ashamed of exposing their almost always dirty code - too much of a quirk to the good programming practices.

Their end-user software, designed for, say, pure newbie-friendliness, is simply mainstream. It's been practically a monopoly for the average joe for decades: the main reason why so many assume it's quality. Most people are used to it, when not extensively trained to use it.

MS just wants programs to "work", no matter how oddly optimized... Very redneck of them.

Throwing in an irrefutable example: despite the fact MS is popular among pc users, their OS is not broadly adopted by the online big business because it's not stable or secure enough.

Yeah, I don't agree with their practices, but there's a reason why the NSA mainly uses *nix systems..... :) I mean, any Techie has knowledge of ANY OS, but yeah, Linux is sweet.... :D Also, to dispel the myth of Security and Market Share..... Google has YET to be attacked successfully..... :3 Not IMPOSSIBLE, but very, VERY hard....... :D

I disagree. From a user standpoint, their software appears to work fine, but from a programmer, and IT Professional's standpoint, their source code is some of the worst ever written. We don't need to see the source to know this as fact!

The incredible number of Malware, (MALicious softWARE) is evidence of the flaws in their software. Why hasn't Mickey$oft re-written their software to correct for these flaws??? I doubt they ever can at this point.

Many authoritative sites claim different numbers, but even assuming 50% of the numbers claimed by any of these sites, clearly show the increasing number of attacks on Mickey$oft's software. See: AV-TEST for a graphic example of these facts.

Yes, there are Malware for Open Source software, Linux O/S, Android O/S, & apps, and Apple's O/S & software, but the numbers are minimal, in comparison. Plus FLOSS's ability to quickly diagnose and correct these flaws, show the strength of FLOSS software.

The Linux BASH CLI (Command Line Interface) alone is far more powerful than any Windows GUI ever thought of being. They created the Windows Powershell in response, but it's not even close! ;^)
LUV me Terminals..... :3 Yes, Terminals, from, well, Terminal to XTerm to Sakura and beyond, I Love them ALL!..... : D

Also, I thought that "Redneck" was just a derogatory term to anybody down South in the USA, but it turns out that people HERE call certain people Rednecks TOO!..... :D

Yeah, I don't agree with their practices, but there's a reason why the NSA mainly uses *nix systems..... :) I mean, any Techie has knowledge of ANY OS, but yeah, Linux is sweet.... :D Also, to dispel the myth of Security and Market Share..... Google has YET to be attacked successfully..... :3 Not IMPOSSIBLE, but very, VERY hard....... :D
I may acknowledge I didn't understand the point of that answer to my post, specially that first "but"...

I agree that Google is hard to hack anyway.

Also, I thought that "Redneck" was just a derogatory term to anybody down South in the USA, but it turns out that people HERE call certain people Rednecks TOO!..... :D
It can be simply taken for "reactionary", "simpleton", "intolerant" etc. as an extension of the original meaning. Definitions slightly derived since the word spread long ago.

MS is the best representative of what a redneck software company can be...

Last edited:
If Mickey$oft people are "Rednecks", then I guess Linux and FLOSS people are "Good Ol' Boys"! ;^)

I grew up in very rural New England. I know all about Rednecks! (The non-MS kind!) ;^)

The comments in this thread about M$'s dodgy code-base and working practices seem to be pretty on the ball if the article in this link is legit!
(Posted by somebody who worked on the Windows Kernel at the time of its original posting):
http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=74

The game is missing a few characters, Billy Gates, Steve Balmer, (Throwing chairs!), Paul Allen, Satya Nadella, etc... ;^)
their presence in the game would make that piece of software a lot more proudly unsophisticated :D

I may acknowledge I didn't understand the point of that answer to my post, specially that first "but"...

I agree that Google is hard to hack anyway.

It can be simply taken for "reactionary", "simpleton", "intolerant" etc. as an extension of the original meaning. Definitions slightly derived since the word spread long ago.

Well, it just reminded me of the first time I heard a true Southerner use the term "Redneck", as all my life, I heard people use it when referring to so-called Hillbilly's..... :D Also, I wonder how much Google paid for those Server Towers....... Hardware, Cases and all....... :) But I had no idea that Redneck also meant those things..... :D

If Mickey$oft people are "Rednecks", then I guess Linux and FLOSS people are "Good Ol' Boys"! ;^)

I grew up in very rural New England. I know all about Rednecks! (The non-MS kind!) ;^)
Yeah, good 'ol boys.....!! ^^ But I didn't think Rednecks existed outside of the U.S.... :D Also, how is the Beer in England.....? We have some excellent brews here, specifically in Chicago and Wisconsin, but I hear the Pubs there are awesome..... :3

Yeah, good 'ol boys.....!! ^^ But I didn't think Rednecks existed outside of the U.S.... :D Also, how is the Beer in England.....? We have some excellent brews here, specifically in Chicago and Wisconsin, but I hear the Pubs there are awesome..... :3
I grew up in New England, Northeast U.S., not England/U.K. I have spent a lot of time in Scotland and England, and yes, the pubs, the Bitter, and Ale there are great! Wish I were there right now! ;^)

The term "Redneck" seems to be of Scottish origin. See the Wikipedia article:

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[21][22] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.

Members online