Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

Terminal / Nautilus error

Discussion in 'Command Line' started by barryg, Dec 3, 2018.

1. barryg

barryg New Member

So I tried to create and run/open a script in Terminal, which screwed up my system. Terminal is stuck without a command prompt, as if a process is still running, even following multiple reboots. I checked all running processes, but could not figure out what it could be. Nautilus is also not working right any longer. The script I tried to run is below. Can anyone please help me? What may I do to kill the hung process (assuming it is) or reset Terminal and Nautilus? - Thanks

Script:

#!/bin/bash
    gnome-terminal -e $1
    cd ~/ipvanish
    ./ipvanish-vpn-linux start

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

#1 barryg, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

You should be able to hit ctrl-c to kill whatever is currently running in the terminal.

If that doesn't work, open another terminal and run something like "killall -9 ipvanish-vpn-linux" to kill all instances of that script.

3. CptCharis

CptCharis Well-Known Member

...and always use a virtual machine to run anything bfr run it on your main machine ;)