Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. More ways to get the info! - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages on Twitter and our newsletter!. Twitter | Newsletter
    Dismiss Notice

Terminal / Nautilus error

Discussion in 'Command Line' started by barryg, Dec 3, 2018.

1. barryg

barryg New Member

So I tried to create and run/open a script in Terminal, which screwed up my system. Terminal is stuck without a command prompt, as if a process is still running, even following multiple reboots. I checked all running processes, but could not figure out what it could be. Nautilus is also not working right any longer. The script I tried to run is below. Can anyone please help me? What may I do to kill the hung process (assuming it is) or reset Terminal and Nautilus? - Thanks

Script:

#!/bin/bash
    gnome-terminal -e $1
    cd ~/ipvanish
    ./ipvanish-vpn-linux start

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

#1 barryg, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

You should be able to hit ctrl-c to kill whatever is currently running in the terminal.

If that doesn't work, open another terminal and run something like "killall -9 ipvanish-vpn-linux" to kill all instances of that script.

3. CptCharis

CptCharis Well-Known Member

...and always use a virtual machine to run anything bfr run it on your main machine ;)