Solved Switch now working

Solved issue

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
Well, I bought a tp-link TL-SG108E for my home network. And .... failed to write down the IP address after I changed it via the browser UI a week or so ago (yeah, my memory sucks). I've tried adjusting my client IP to every IP that I can think that I would have used ...
192.168.0.*
192.168.1.*
192.168.2.*
192.168.5.*
192.168.10.*

And still not able to figure out what IP this thing is set to. Unfortunately, I didn't think to verify (before purchase) if one was able to do a factory reset on this switch. As my luck would have it, this one does not have that ability. That is sort of a required item for me as I am new to all this and trying to learn as I go. Trust me. My teacher is not very smart on this stuff! :D

So, this tp-link switch is going to sit on the shelf til I figure out how to extract that info. I know it can be done. But I think it's a little over my head at this point.

Therefore, I am looking for an affordable VLAN aware switch with a minimum of 5 ports that CAN be factory reset with a button. Preferably with a built in UI. That way, when (not if) I screw up, I can reset and start over.

After you're done cleaning up that drink you just laughed out all over your monitor, let me know what you think.

Thanks all

According to comment in this thread:
"the default IP address of the switch is 192.168.0.1"

I'm using this, a managed switch.

According to comment in this thread:
"the default IP address of the switch is 192.168.0.1"
Yup. Tried that. Thing is, the default conflicts with my other hardware. So, it was changed by an idiot.

Did you back up the original settings as recommended in the Manuel?
The same idiot didn't do a back up either. And without being able to access the browser UI, said idiot couldn't restore a back up anyway.
I'm using this, a managed switch
Thank you! I'll have a look at that one.

So, this tp-link switch is going to sit on the shelf til I figure out how to extract that info.
Got Windows? Or a friend with Windows? Windows in a VM? There seems to be a Easy Smart Configuration Utility for that switch that may set you straight. The Installation Guide indicates the default for the switch is to receive its IP address via DHCP... and falls back to 192.168.0.1 if DHCP fails, as @osprey indicated.

Links that show "static.tp-link" need to change static to www, or simply remove static.

EDIT: My link above to Installation Guide still goes to static.tp-link, even though I have removed it in the URL setting. Weird. Follow the link anyway, and then manually edit the URL yourself to remove "static." from the address, and it will prompt you to view or save the PDF file. The link to the configuration utility works as expected.

Last edited:
(Post removed. The OP solved the issue on their own.)

I will regret helping out later. I hope this is not the OP's homework. :-(

Last edited:
and falls back to 192.168.0.1 if DHCP fails, as @osprey indicated.
Both of you are absolutely correct. I just disconnected the cables and power from everything. Connected my client into the switch and powered both back up. Set my client IP up and logged straight in to that darn switch.

No idea why I didn't think to disconnect it from the firewall. Well, I guess I do know why. A whole lot of ignorance mixed with a splash of stupidity. I think I need a V8. Or a vacation. Yeah, let's go with a vacation.

Members online