Starting with GPU BIOS Flash with Linux

targaryen

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Sirs, I am willing to perform a BIOS mod in my AMD RX 5700 xt and in order to do that I got a Linux version of the flash utility.

If you could help me, I would like to know which distribution is best for flashing? Is it necessary a driver to flash?

I know programming but I am a beginner in Linux

Perhaps the Brick Wizard guide through this path and help me prevent to brick the card? Joking

Regards

Last edited:

Are you planing to use that gpu on linux?
Yes, the software that requires the GPU capabilities is Linux based

By the way, I got two sets of hardware available to boot up:

ryzen 5 5600x
asrock b550m

&&

intel i5 6500
asus maximus hero VIII

Since you have an AMD graphics card you can use the opensource drivers within the kernel in combination with mesa. The firmware is updated automatically when you do a system update if there is a a firmware update available because all the firmware is put into one package, linux-firmware.
Just read the introduction of that page, the rest can be ignored since the rest is Gentoo specific.

In theory, you should not need to flash the bios if you use the Kernel drivers for the RX range [which by the way with most distributions should automatically load when make your installation]
Which distribution are you thinking of using?

Actually I need to flash a modified BIOS into the RX in order to unlock some features of the GPU, since there are different distributions I would like to choose the most stable for that operation

since there are different distributions I would like to choose the most stable for that operation
All the established distributions have the same sort of stability

Bookmarked for later reference

Porteus or Puppy -- download iso, burn, boot to -- both inside 400MB. Load to RAM log in as root in Porteus (already root in any Puppy) 'toor' and do your thing with the command line -- is my suggestion for you latter concern.

Porteus or Puppy -- download iso, burn, boot to -- both inside 400MB. Load to RAM log in as root in Porteus (already root in any Puppy) 'toor' and do your thing with the command line -- is my suggestion for you latter concern.
Could be an alternative to use a linux distro (Debian, for instance) in recovery mode and execute the necessaries commands for flashing through root shell prompt?

You can just clone the repository and run it, since the binary is in the git repo.
1. git clone https://github.com/stylesuxx/amdvbflash.git
2. cd amdvbflash
3. Then run it, for example:
Code:
sudo ./amdvbflash -v
sudo ./amdvbflash -h

You can just clone the repository and run it, since the binary is in the git repo.
1. git clone https://github.com/stylesuxx/amdvbflash.git
2. cd amdvbflash
3. Then run it, for example:
Code:
sudo ./amdvbflash -v
sudo ./amdvbflash -h
Actually I need another version, which binaries are patched allowing to bypass an annoying signature check done by the official version you pointed...

I got this version, I just need to run it, but I am deciding which way is faster and stable, Porteus or the Debian root shell prompt.

Not having flashed a GPU, I go by what I do to flash a machine's BIOS, which is to use a LiveCD loaded to RAM to do the most secure job, without interference or problems from the installed OS.

You have the file, so proceed

Not having flashed a GPU,
Me neither, I can only ever remember flashing a BIOS 3 times, one was on a 486 that I upgraded to p120 using an evergreen chip, one was Y2K update and the third was when I replaced the bios on a friend's box.

Not having flashed a GPU, I go by what I do to flash a machine's BIOS, which is to use a LiveCD loaded to RAM to do the most secure job, without interference or problems from the installed OS.

You have the file, so proceed

It seems a nice alternative, does the LiveCD works in the same way as the Porteus? Because I got the USB port only

Also, regarding the executable amdvbflash, it is a small file that requires root privilege, and there is a another version made for UEFI Shell, and also another version which they recommend to run in Windows Safe Mode...

From that perspective, could the linux recovery mode kerney root shell prompt interface in the same way with hardware?

Attachments

• linux.png
    linux.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 278
LiveCD vs LiveUSB -- same thing, different devices is all

For file partitculars, you'll have to ask someone who has used amdvbflash.

No, that is why an OS loaded to RAM is used.

And, like said earlier, I have never flashed a GPU BIOS (and I don't think many if any here have done so, either).
Flashing any BIOS involves some uncertainty and no guarantees.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts