ssd problem

J

jonnyc

Recently moved my Linux Mint installation to a larger ssd, but the disc now shows the install as the same size as previously with 360 GB of unallocated space and I can see no way to use this space (i.e. add it to my existing ext4 partition). I was previously using Partition Wizard from a cd. Could I do the same thing with Gparted from a bootable usb drive? Existing partitions are ext4, Linux swap and extended partition ext3. I read that ext3 is to be done away with, but I have no idea what the implications of this are. Can anyone help?!
The original install was from a Linux Mint ISO. Why do I have an ext4 partition for the main system but ext3 for the extended partition?
JC

Is the SSD using MBR or GPT? If it is using MBR, then you should use Gparted (as a Live CD) to format the partition table from MBR to GPT (you will lose all data). MBR only allows four primary partitions, but GPT does not use the concept of "primary" and "logical".

Another possibility may be that the SSD drive's alignment is off-set. This article may help.

Is the SSD using MBR or GPT? If it is using MBR, then you should use Gparted (as a Live CD) to format the partition table from MBR to GPT (you will lose all data). MBR only allows four primary partitions, but GPT does not use the concept of "primary" and "logical".

Another possibility may be that the SSD drive's alignment is off-set. This article may help.
I had a look via Gparted, but it doesn't indicate whether MBR or GPT. The file system is MSDOS so I think that indicates MBR. I'll reboot later with Partition Wizard and see. that tells me for sure.
In the meantime I used Gparted live from a cd and created another partition in the unallocated space, but ideally I would have liked to have merged this with the boot partition, but can't see any way to do this. Maybe I could acheive a workaround by (somehow) telling downloaded programmes, photos, music, etc. to populate the new larger partition instead of filling the small boot partition. I sense the approach of another learning curve!

JC

I don't think you needed to create a new partition. With GParted you can "resize" your original boot partition into the unallocated space to make it bigger. The article below describes the resizing process pretty well.

https://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Good luck!

Well I tried that but the only way I could get it to work was by deleting the swap partition.
Then I was able to expand the boot partition as needed, leaving 10GB to recreate the swap partition, which I did, but now the system needs telling where it is to use it! I've seen something about this but I don't remember the details, so that will be my next question!
Got 32GB ram on this machine so it's not too urgent at the moment but I'd like to get it right.
JC

Well I tried that but the only way I could get it to work was by deleting the swap partition.
Then I was able to expand the boot partition as needed, leaving 10GB to recreate the swap partition, which I did, but now the system needs telling where it is to use it! I've seen something about this but I don't remember the details, so that will be my next question!
Got 32GB ram on this machine so it's not too urgent at the moment but I'd like to get it right.
JC
32GB of RAM.....?? :O Wow, I'm jealous....... :3 How is it so far.....? :)

32GB of RAM.....?? :O Wow, I'm jealous....... :3 How is it so far.....? :)

OK so far. One app, a VM, always warns me about it, but it still functions OK. Things will hopefully get a bit easier when I get better at the sodu-bash geekery side of things. But for the moment it's all a bit of a slog!

JC

The new swap partition needs to be listed in /etc/fstab

The entry in my /etc/fstab looks like
Code:
# swap - /dev/sda9
UUID=4236dabb-fa7d-4066-b171-91ffa7afb4f4 none  swap  sw  0  0

You can get the UUID of the new swap partition from GParted

The new swap partition needs to be listed in /etc/fstab

The entry in my /etc/fstab looks like
Code:
# swap - /dev/sda9
UUID=4236dabb-fa7d-4066-b171-91ffa7afb4f4 none  swap  sw  0  0

You can get the UUID of the new swap partition from GParted

Hi Devyn,
I found the info (uuid) ok, but fstab is read only, therefore there must be a geek-trick to get it in there. Gonna tell me what it is?

JC

Hi Devyn,
I found the info (uuid) ok, but fstab is read only, therefore there must be a geek-trick to get it in there. Gonna tell me what it is?

JC
Open it with Admin privaleges..either directly as root or via sudo.

Hang on a bit , I need to get rid of this google shite

Back soon

OK so far. One app, a VM, always warns me about it, but it still functions OK. Things will hopefully get a bit easier when I get better at the sodu-bash geekery side of things. But for the moment it's all a bit of a slog!

JC
Your VM is jealous of you TOO.....? :D I like setting up VMs for pranking Tech Support Scammers..... :3 Well, Good Luck!!....... ^^

Your VM is jealous of you TOO.....? :D I like setting up VMs for pranking Tech Support Scammers..... :3 Well, Good Luck!!....... ^^

Thought I'd fixed it with Gedit>swapon, only to find it doesn't survive a reboot. What earthly use is that? Sort of like making a pot with a hole in the bottom!

JC

Thought I'd fixed it with Gedit>swapon, only to find it doesn't survive a reboot. What earthly use is that? Sort of like making a pot with a hole in the bottom!

JC
Hmmm..... :\ I'm not sure..... I'm still learning about all this stuff, myself.... :D You're referring to VirtualBox, right.....? :) I've been having problems with the Windows port myself, lately..... :(

Hmmm..... :\ I'm not sure..... I'm still learning about all this stuff, myself.... :D You're referring to VirtualBox, right.....? :) I've been having problems with the Windows port myself, lately..... :(

No, I'm using VMWare Player. I've tried Virtual box a few times but always had problems with it. VMWare is much more user-freindly for the neophyte. When it starts it gives me a warning that it normally needs 8GB swap file. After I did the swapon thing that disappeared
but came back again after a reboot, so I'll have to find some way to make it stick; but I've got a lot of other things on my plate right now so the Linux education programme will have to sit on the back burner for now!

JC

Latest posts