SSD Drive

c25xm81

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone!
I was fortunate enough to purchase a new desktop computer about 9 months ago with Ubuntu 22.04 pre-installed and i really do enjoy using this
great Linux operating system. So, now i would like to install another Linux OS but on a new different SSD Drive. The only trouble is i haven't got a clue how to go about installing a operating system onto a new SSD Drive. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me please and possibly direct me to an online tutorial. Thanks

It depends on the distro a little. But the installer for almost all distro's will let you set the target drive.

When you say "new SSD". Are both drives installed at the same time? Or are you removing one of them.

If you are removing one of them. Then you simply install it .. "the normal way".

If you have two disks online at the same time. Just select the target disk in the installer.
Be careful not to select both disks.

This works best if the two disks are different models. If they are different size ( even just a few megabytes )
then you can tell which disk is which.

A "gotcha" here. If I boot up from distro1, my OS disk ( intel 2TB ) shows up as /dev/nvme0n1 and my
secondary disk, where the second distro is installed shows up as /dev/nvme0n2.

If I boot from distro2. It's the other way around, my OS disk for this distro ( samsung 1TB ) is now /dev/nvme0n1
and my other disk is now /dev/nvme0n2

Sometimes it's a pain to keep track of which is which. I always run a df -h to see which disk I'm on.

I use the BIOS/UEFI to pick which disk I want to boot from. But you don't have to do it this way.
You can share the same grub menu across both distros. Then you just pick the one you want in grub.

To discover your new SSD open your /home directory in your Ubuntu install.
Look under "Devices" in the list to the left. Your other SSD should show.

IF not launch gparted. Gparted will show what devices are on your computer.

In the upper right hand corner is where you can find your SSD's and other devices.
In the screenshot I provided you can see that /dev/sda is the drive that I have MX Linux installed on.

Click on the triangle to the right of the drive and select the drive you want to view information about.

Attachments

• Gparted.png  - 777 x 527_001.png
    Gparted.png - 777 x 527_001.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
During your Linux installation just make sure you have the correct drive selected.

I have two 500GB SSDs in my Tower and both have Mint Cinnamon 21.1...SSD 1 is my main Drive and SSD 2 is my spare Drive.
m1213.gif

If I wanted to install a different Distro on my spare SSD...the safest way is to pull out both SATA and Power cables from my Main SSD and plug them in to my spare SSD and install the new Distro...simple.
m1212.gif

By doing this...you avoid many problem. I do have an image of my main SSD stored should anything happen but sometimes I'll try software...a new version of Mint or Terminal commands I've never tried before on my spare SSD.
m1203.gif

can ypu connect to the internet with this machine\/ if yes then run from a terminal inxi -Fnxxz and copy/paste back the result
if no its probably a Wi-Fi driver missing

Hello everyone!
I was fortunate enough to purchase a new desktop computer about 9 months ago with Ubuntu 22.04 pre-installed and i really do enjoy using this
great Linux operating system. So, now i would like to install another Linux OS but on a new different SSD Drive. The only trouble is i haven't got a clue how to go about installing a operating system onto a new SSD Drive. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me please and possibly direct me to an online tutorial. Thanks
the dual boot can be done very very very easily, take a look at a post I did a ways back..

https://www.linux.org/threads/dual-and-multi-boot-systems.47320/

This will assure you a perfect dual boot setup and make it solid. You will not have to worry about grub or things being messed up during updates.

Members online

Latest posts