Some questions and my story

MysticalJungle

Reaction score
Credits
Hello.

Yes, I know there are articles about beginner questions and such, but mine is different, that's why I started a topic.

I've used Linux in the past on a dual boot Vista, Ubuntu 10.04. Good old times. I loved it, but due to the hardware I use, which I'll talk about later, I went full Windows again :(

Now due to Microsofts way of going with Windows 11, I kinda want to ditch Windows 11 and start on Linux Mint.

Due to the hardware I use, it's kinda hard to migrate to Linux full time (no dual boot) I use a GV-USB2 and Elgato HD60S.
Elgato 60S is solved, it's on my mini PC, but now it's about GV-USB2.
I did some attempts to make it work on Linux following a tutorial, the only one... Which is outdated by 5 years!! So yes, I only errors.

I ordered another capture card which claims to be compatible with Linux.

Is it possible to test things on live USB before I install? I tested some stuff in a VM before, but even my webcam is a garbled mess in a VM. So VM is out of options. The PC I want to install it on has Intel core i7-7700K and Nvidia GeForce 1070.

What to do? Or shall I wait before installing? The pc has windows 10.

Thanks.

There is a recent post in the Ubuntu forums on how to set up your USB to RGB converter cable [this should also work for Mint 21]

There is a recent post in the Ubuntu forums on how to set up your USB to RGB converter cable [this should also work for Mint 21]

Thanks. I'll give it a try on my Linux Mint Live USB tomorrow. Since that USB is at a friend's place right now.

I forgot to ask more questions as I was in a hurry. Will the following things work out of the box on Linux? :

Mayflash N64 controller adapter (the old dual one from like 11 years ago lol)

Mayflash MF-103 N64 controller adapter for Switch and PC.
PS5 controller via USB
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
PSP connected to USB
Snickerstream for New 3DS.

Do all of those work on Linux?
I hope so, since then I can Switch to Linux if most if not all work on Linux.

Mayflash N64 controller adapter (the old dual one from like 11 years ago lol)

Mayflash MF-103 N64 controller adapter for Switch and PC.
PS5 controller via USB
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
PSP connected to USB
Snickerstream for New 3DS.

Do all of those work on Linux?
I hope so, since then I can Switch to Linux if most if not all work on Linux.
Sorry not in my remit [not a gamer] ask in the gaming forums https://www.linux.org/forums/linux-gaming.202/

from Mayflash

We are so sorry to tell you that MF103 works with Linux system imperfectly .

For a perfect using experience ,please connect it with Windows ,thanks .

Best Regards,
Mayflash Support Team
www.mayflash.com

from Mayflash

We are so sorry to tell you that MF103 works with Linux system imperfectly .

For a perfect using experience ,please connect it with Windows ,thanks .

Best Regards,
Mayflash Support Team
www.mayflash.com
Hello Mayflash team, and other readers ofcourse. I did another test on the Linux Mint laptop and I have some good news, but also some bad.
I know you've said to use Windows. But this just doesn't stop me from further testing it on Linux.

More and more people are moving over to Linux because of Microsofts policies.

Anyway about the adapter testing.
To be honest I forgot that there's also an Xinput mode on the adapter (green LED). It uses DirectInput as default (blue LED)
This doesn't mean it's magically fully compatible on Linux though. Here's my testing, just using 2 emulators for now as it's late.

Xinput mode:
Parallel Launcher for Linux:
Can map the buttons for your liking, but then nothing works when a game is started.

RALibretro (Windows program ran in wine 9.0):
Everything works perfectly and is fully compatible. RALibretro is a multiple emulator like RetroArch. It's a good alternative to use, which I explain in short later.

Using DirectInput mode is a mess. Most buttons didn't even register even in RALibretro.

I have to be honest I haven't tested RetroArch with the adapter and I'm not planning to do so. This is because configuring a controller in RetroArch is pretty difficult. Atleast it is for me. And that was in Windows...

P.S I also tested another emulator, RAP64.
All buttons configured perfectly. But it has a black screen when starting a game no matter what video plugin is used.
Might be a bug in Wine? Since games work on RALibretro...

Staff online

Members online