[solved] snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should be

PsychoHermit

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings folks,

I'm having problems with snapd. This is what I get launching firefox from CLI. Running ubuntu 22.04

Code:
snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should be. Refusing to continue to avoid permission escalation attacks

Reinstalling it cures the problem but this is an every boot occurrence and it's a hassle reinstalling, not to mention wear and tear on my ssd.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point out a fix for this.

Thanks in advance,
--glenn

I'd check the permission snap has. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu's method, so search 'how to adjust snap permissions +ubuntu' and that should let you check 'em.

Are you running an Ubuntu Kernel? if not install one reboot to it should clear it up - can happen if you are using a kernel not for Ubuntu
Also what is the output of
Code:
snap version

Yes I'm running an ubuntu kernel

22.04LTS, 5.15.0-27-generic

Code:
 glenn@LinuxBox:~$ snap version
snap    2.55.3+22.04ubuntu1
snapd   2.55.3+22.04ubuntu1
series  16
ubuntu  22.04
[code]
kernel  5.15.0-27-generic
snap    2.55.3+22.04ubuntu1
snapd   2.55.3+22.04ubuntu1
series  16
ubuntu  22.04
kernel  5.15.0-27-generic

Thanks,
--glenn

Lets check to see if apparmor is running
Code:
systemctl status apparmor
If the above comes back as - Active: inactive (dead)
Then we will need to start it
Code:
systemctl start apparmor

If you don't get an answer here (a lot of us have put off using Snap applications) then you might want to try at the official Ubuntu forums. They have people over there who have used them since day one. (I'm actually an Ubuntu Member and have very little experience with Snaps outside of a single development period where Firefox worked just fine in my tests - though some applications couldn't bring up the Snap Firefox as the browser, like LibreOffice's help files.)

I'm no expert, but I know that Mozilla has said there are a number of bugs in the Snap version that need to be addressed. That's secondhand information, but the source is quite reliable.

Solved,
systemctl enable --now apparmor.service
systemctl enable --now snapd.apparmor.service

--glenn

Members online