Solved! - new graphics card wont allow me to access internet

artyGargoyle

Reaction score
Credits
Hi! I recently had water damage on my pc, the motherboard and everything else is fine but the graphics card died, I have a tiny non powered card that I've been using while waiting for the replacement. When the replacement arrived it worked, but I cant access the internet anymore. we've put the tiny one back in, and today we tried calling a support line for the card and they had never heard of this problem, and on top of that they don't know anything about linux.

This is my ubuntu version
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Release: 20.04
The graphics card is AMD Radeon rx 5500

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vy9jk6 here's a link to the rest of the computer things - including the original powered graphics card that worked fine.

We have so far tried different internet cables, different routers, turning it off and on again, and checking we have the right drivers (we do). My sibling thought it might be the power pack, but it should have enough oomph to power everything, but it doesnt have another power cable for us to try and check if its that.

If anyone has any ideas I would seriously appreciate it, I've been getting my sibling to help with this but they're stuck too.

You graphics card has absolutely nothing to do with your internet or network connection. Can you open a terminal and share the output of the follow command?
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i net

its the only thing thats changing between having and not having internet, and we've changed them multiple times.

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)

I recently had water damage on my pc, the motherboard and everything else is fine but the graphics card died, I have a tiny non powered card that I've been using while waiting for the replacement. When the replacement arrived it worked, but I cant access the internet anymore. we've put the tiny one back in
Hmmm, wow! I've never heard anything where a video card could affect the internet... they are very different systems internally on the computer. But they may share some connections on the PCI bus, and they definitely share system power. So my best guess is that you have more water damage that you realize. The new video card sounds more powerful, and it could be pulling down system power and not leaving enough for your internet device (wired or wireless). The lesser video device you were using may not have drawn so much power, and allowed the internet to function.

If true, you may damage your new video card too. Or worse. Water inside a computer is NEVER a good thing. If there was enough water to kill the original video card, I would be very suspicious of the entire system. I'm actually surprised that it works at all. Good luck!

Can you share the output of the following.
Code:
ip a
ip route
With your new graphics card in your system, as well as the command from my previous reply? And did you put the temporary replacement graphics card and your new graphics card in the same slot?

Last edited:
Very odd.
It would be helpful to know the exact model and specifications of the "tiny non powered card" and of the new card.

Specifically - are the two cards being plugged into the exact same slot?

Very odd.
It would be helpful to know the exact model and specifications of the "tiny non powered card" and of the new card.

Specifically - are the two cards being plugged into the exact same slot?
That struck me too. How can any internal device be "non powered?" ;)

We dried it out and checked all the components separately after we realised, and nothing else looks bad, this happened before Christmas and everything apart from the graphics card has been fine since then! my sibling thought it might be the power, but apparently my power bank or whatever is beefy enough that it shouldn't be a problem

Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:d8:61:fc:7d:e2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.222/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic enp2s0
       valid_lft 78147sec preferred_lft 78147sec
    inet6 2a00:23c6:771b:2f01:2d8:61ff:fefc:7de2/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute
       valid_lft 278sec preferred_lft 98sec
    inet6 fe80::2d8:61ff:fefc:7de2/64 scope link
abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$ ip route

We dried it out and checked all the components separately after we realised, and nothing else looks bad, this happened before Christmas and everything apart from the graphics card has been fine since then! my sibling thought it might be the power, but apparently my power bank or whatever is beefy enough that it shouldn't be a problem

Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.1.222/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic enp2s0
       valid_lft 78147sec preferred_lft 78147sec
    inet6 2a00:23c6:771b:2f01:2d8:61ff:fefc:7de2/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute
       valid_lft 278sec preferred_lft 98sec
    inet6 fe80::2d8:61ff:fefc:7de2/64 scope link
Is this with your new graphics card in your system, as well as the output from the question to my first reply? You missed the output of ip route but I'm guessing it's: 192.168.1.1?

no sorry this is with the small one - its a spare we had around that I think originally came from a laptop

no sorry this is with the small one - its a spare we had around that I think originally came from a laptop
The output is pretty useless if the problem is only happening with your new graphics card in your system. I would like to see the output of the command of my first reply and of the commands from my second reply with your new graphics card in your system, so these.
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i net
ip a
ip route
I'll be logging off soon but while you are at it, when you have your new graphics card in your system. Can you also do following and share the output this.
Code:
ping -c3 192.168.1.1 (replace this with whatever the output of "ip route" is.)
ping -c3 1.1.1.1

unpowered in that it doesn't need extra power cable, just going from the motherboard

sorry for the delay, the computer needs to be turned off to change them round since they are going in the same slot and i don't get internet, and I'm afraid i didnt see that ping one until i turned it back on again. The ip route doesnt do anything with terminal?
abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$ lspci -nn | grep -i net
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$

abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$ ip a

2: enp4s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$

these are with the new graphics card so im having to save it to a doc before changing them round again.

the small graphics card is a FirePro V3900 graphics card

nothing else looks bad
It is often very difficult or impossible to determine if electronics are working properly just by "looking".

but apparently my power bank or whatever is beefy enough
It could very well be "beefy enough" but I would check the specifications of both the power supply unit and the new graphics card.

this is with the small one - its a spare we had around that I think originally came from a laptop
Curiousier and curiousier....

It is often very difficult or impossible to determine if electronics are working properly just by "looking".

It could very well be "beefy enough" but I would check the specifications of both the power supply unit and the new graphics card.

Curiousier and curiousier....

As I said, the water damage happened before christmas and it's been working fine since then with the FirePro V3900 graphics card (the small one) I havent had any other problems at all, its just the new graphics card and internet not happening at the same time. I'm not sure about the specifications, but the sibling said they should be compatible? I posted the link to all the other components but I really dont know :(

Is your new graphics card using the same slot as the temporarily replacement? Seems like Ubuntu 20.04 uses networkmanager. Can you try setting a static ip with the new graphics cards in your system. It would be something like this.
sudo nmcli con mod enp4s0 ipv4.addresses 192.168.1.222 ipv4.gateway 192.168.1.1 ipv4.dns 192.168.122.1 connection.autoconnect yes ipv4.method manual
Then
sudo nmcli connection reload
Just to be sure, reboot your system then share the output of these again.
Code:
ip a
ip route
ping -c3 192.168.122.1
ping -c3 1.1.1.1

I'll try tomorrow, since you were saying you were about to log off and it'll take a while to sort out :)

16155718023103236466476444393107.jpg

Card is in the same slot.
Apologies for the screenshot . But as no connection from the pc this seems the best way vs. typing all that out on my phone

Card is in the same slot.
Apologies for the screenshot . But as no connection from the pc this seems the best way vs. typing all that out on my phone
Is the screenshot before or after you did what I asked in post #15?

Connected phone via USB successfully to get this log...

Code:

abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$ sudo nmcli con show

abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$ ip a

2: enp4s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000

abigail@Abigails-Desktop:~$ sudo nmcli con show

no output from `ip route`

only blank line output from `sudo nmcli con show`

`sudo nmcli con mod enp4s0 ...` gives an error: Error: unknown connection 'enp4s0'.

and card was in before trying post 15 hence no internet connection at the moment from the pc.

Can you try this instead then with your new videocard in your system again.
sudo nmcli con add con-name enp4s0 ifname enp4s0 ipv4.addresses 192.168.1.222 ipv4.gateway 192.168.1.1 ipv4.dns 192.168.122.1 connection.autoconnect yes ipv4.method manual type ethernet
Then
sudo nmcli connection reload
Then reboot your system and share the output of the following again plus two more.
Code:
ip a
ip route
ping -c3 192.168.122.1
ping -c3 1.1.1.1
ping -c3 linux.org
nmcli device show enp4s0

Last edited:

Staff online