(SOLVED) intel A380 GPU driver issue?

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
I, being new to the Linux life, didn't look to see if my GPU was usable on Linux. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is. Well, it is. But with very limited functionality as per a video by A1RMAX on YouTube. He claims he spent 30 hours trying to get it going to his satisfaction. To no avail.

The GPU in question is an ASRock Intel ARC A380. Not a great card by any stretch. But I felt it was good enough for my budget and needs.

Anyone care to suggest an alternative that will work without to much hassle on Mint? Or maybe you know a source that has figured out how to get this ASRock rolling?

I'm 54 and don't really do PC gaming. Main usage for this machine is internet and some graphics work (Gimp, etc). This particular build (ASRock motherboard, Intel CORE i3-13100F processor) needs a GPU.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Last edited:

I'm no expert with the new breed of discrete Intel GPUs. But wouldn't the in-kernel Intel driver give usable functionality, in much the same way that 'nouveau' does for Nvidia, and 'radeon' does for AMD?

Come to that, I'm no kind of expert with Intel hardware, period. But I do know that Intel gear has always been very Linux-friendly.....

A-ha. Seems that Arc GPU support (including the A380) is now "baked-in" with the 6.0-series kernels:-

.....so, as long as you're running an up-to-date distro with a new-ish kernel, you should be laughing.

Mike. ;)

I'm no expert with the new breed of discrete Intel GPUs. But wouldn't the in-kernel Intel driver give usable functionality, in much the same way that 'nouveau' does for Nvidia, and 'radeon' does for AMD?

Come to that, I'm no kind of expert with Intel hardware, period. But I do know that Intel gear has always been very Linux-friendly.....

A-ha. Seems that Arc GPU support (including the A380) is now "baked-in" with the 6.0-series kernels:-

.....so, as long as you're running an up-to-date distro with a new-ish kernel, you should be laughing.

Mike. ;)
I downloaded and installed the latest Mint last weekend. I hope that's up-to-date enough.

Hmmm... I'll have to look into that link. And look into how to enable that "support".

Mike. ;)
Well, after doing some more digging, Mike is correct. I have "the latest" driver installed.

I will have to spend more time trying to figure out what exactly is causing my issue before I go looking for a cure.

I downloaded and installed the latest Mint last weekend. I hope that's up-to-date enough.

Hmmm... I'll have to look into that link. And look into how to enable that "support".

Well, let us know how you make out, please. I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my GeForce GT 710 to an entry-level Arc GPU, given they're quite reasonably-priced ATM.....so feedback will be useful not only to me, but quite possibly others, too.

Mike.
hat-tip5.gif

Well, let us know how you make out, please. I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my GeForce GT 710 to an entry-level Arc GPU, given they're quite reasonably-priced ATM.....so feedback will be useful not only to me, but quite possibly others, too.

Mike.
hat-tip5.gif
Well Mike, really the issue I am having boils down to this.

The screen resolution is not correct. The display settings show "Unknown Display" with no option to change the current resolution. It's greyed out. BTW, I'm using an LG 27MP40W monitor.

So, I went digging and learned about the xrandr command. Which shows me this:

Code:
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768      76.00*
  “1440x900_60.00” (0x539) 106.500MHz -HSync +VSync
        h: width  1440 start 1528 end 1672 total 1904 skew    0 clock  55.93KHz
        v: height  900 start  903 end  909 total  934           clock  59.89Hz

I've viewed other's xrandr results and they all seem to call out what port is being used. Such as VGA1. Well, I don't see anything like that in my results. (My monitor is plugged into the GPU's HDMI port). Thus, I started thinking "driver issue". But then you said these intels are supported. So, I found this command:
Code:
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
Which resulted in this:
Code:
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 56a5 (rev 05)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 6004
04:00.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 4f92

It's late for me. I'll dig into this some more tomorrow.

Well. I tried to follow the instructions there. :D Keyword "tried". And that resulted in a big fat FAIL. Thankfully this is a new build and I didn't lose anything other than time (and some more hair) when I just now reinstalled LM. So, back to square one.

Well, I made a goof and had to reinstall Mint. But all is well. New build. So, nothing lost.

However!!!!!

I ran across an article on the web on How to Upgrade the Kernel on Mint. I followed along with it and upgraded my Kernel to 6.5.

And now my monitor is recognized. I have options with resolution, etc!
Code:
xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-2 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 480mm x 270mm
   1920x1080     60.00*+  50.00    59.94 
   1680x1050     59.88 
   1600x900      60.00 
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02 
   1440x900      59.90 
   1280x800      59.91 
   1152x864      75.00 
   1280x720      60.00    50.00    59.94 
   1024x768      75.03    60.00 
   800x600       75.00    60.32 
   720x576       50.00 
   720x480       60.00    59.94 
   640x480       75.00    60.00    59.94 
   720x400       70.08 
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Code:
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 56a5 (rev 05)
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
There you go, Mike. Just remember to update your kernel when you get one and you should retain more hair than I did. And I don't have much left to lose!!!

With the ARC A380, it appears that a very recent kernel is required and other recent software.
That was it! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks all!

Just an FYI, that's also fairly trivial to do with Ubuntu. There's also the HWE stack for Ubuntu which may have bumped you up to a new-enough kernel.
Fairly trivial to more advanced users. Which, in my case, one wouldn't have to have much knowledge to be more advanced than me. I had a little linux web server test machine maybe 20 years ago that a buddy set up. That's as far as I've gotten until this build.

@KGIII :-

You might be right. I have a hard time knowing what's easy for a new person.
Heh. Yah, it's all very subjective.

Are they "new" in the sense of 'new to Linux'.......or are they "new" in the sense of 'new to computing', full stop? (In all honesty, I feel the latter situation is a better place to be in; a complete beginner is, in my humble opinion, way better off learning computing with Linux as a base, rather than the Redmond juggernaut. But hey! that's just me.... shrug)

Mike. ;)

Heh. Yah, it's all very subjective.

I'll get feedback here from an article I wrote where people think it's too hard or tedious or whatnot. This happens even when I think it's relatively easy.

Fortunately, I am pretty good at giving directions. So, that aspect seldom comes up. Plus I do make a mistake now and again. Contrary to popular opinion, I am not in fact perfect!

Members online

Latest posts