(SOLVED)/boot partition,Efi System Partition,file system questions

gbn15

Reaction score
Credits
I have several questions. A)Single Boot
1.Does a single boot Linux installation in Legacy Bios mode require creation of /boot partition or the installer will do the job automatically?
2.Does a single boot Linux Installation in UEFI mode require creation of Efi System Partition(ESP) or the installer will do the job automatically?
3.When installing single boot Linux in UEFI mode,if choose Something Else(manual partitioning),do i need to create only the Efi System Partition or both Efi System Partition(ESP) & /boot partition?
4.When installing single boot Linux in UEFI mode,if choose Something Else(manual partitioning),after creating Efi System Partition(ESP),does the installer automatically create /boot partition also?

B)Dual Boot
1.In dual boot (windows+Linux) installation in Legacy Bios mode,although it has the windows System Reserved partition,do I need to create /boot partition?
In this implementation,if didn't create the /boot partition,does the installer create one automatically?
2.In dual boot (windows+Linux) installation in UEFI mode,although it has the Efi System Partition,do i need to create /boot partition?
In this implementation,if didn't create the /boot partition,does the installer create one automatically?

C)1.If select use as EFI system Partition during manual partitioning,does it also format the partition with FAT 32 file system or I need to format that partition to FAT 32 first?
2.For /boot partition.is it fine to format it with the non journalling ext2 file system instead of ext4?

Sorry for the many questions but I need to know,Thanks in advance.

I have several questions. A)Single Boot
1.Does a single boot Linux installation in Legacy Bios mode require creation of /boot partition or the installer will do the job automatically?
2.Does a single boot Linux Installation in UEFI mode require creation of Efi System Partition(ESP) or the installer will do the job automatically?
3.When installing single boot Linux in UEFI mode,if choose Something Else(manual partitioning),do i need to create only the Efi System Partition or both Efi System Partition(ESP) & /boot partition?
4.When installing single boot Linux in UEFI mode,if choose Something Else(manual partitioning),after creating Efi System Partition(ESP),does the installer automatically create /boot partition also?

1. It depends on the distro, but just about all mainstream distro's will do this automatically for you.
2. Again, this is usually done automatically.
3. - see answers to 1 and 2.
4. This is automatic.

C)1.If select use as EFI system Partition during manual partitioning,does it also format the partition with FAT 32 file system or I need to format that partition to FAT 32 first?
2.For /boot partition.is it fine to format it with the non journalling ext2 file system instead of ext4?

1. Again, Typically this is done automatically.
2. Many distro's no longer support EXT2 at all. It may be possible, but why would you want to?

For question C)1.If select use as EFI system Partition during manual partitioning,does it also format the partition with FAT 32 file system or I need to format that partition to FAT 32 first?
based on a post in https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-create-a ... n-in-Linux, In LinuxMint live session need to use utility like GParted or Gdisk to create the Efi partition(200 to512MiB) & format it with Fat 32 file system & set the boot flag but don't mount it.
"Mount point: /boot/efi (remark: no need to set this mount point when using the manual partitioning, the Ubuntu installer will detect it automatically)
& then during real installation,when manual partitioning,select "use as Efi System Partition(don;t select Fat32 file system).also don't checkmark the format box.
After installing Linux mint ,determine whether /boot/efi is mounted in /etc/fstab by executing this command in terminal:sudo cat /etc/fstab

Can refer to this You Tube video:

Last edited:

Members online