I found Howdy a few weeks ago while browsing GitHub (that's what programmers do instead of Twitter). It is supposed to be a Linux alternative to Windows Hello. I installed it on my laptop yesterday in order to try it out. My impressions so far:
- Easy to use if you are familiar with the terminal. Currently, Howdy is configured only through the terminal (i.e.
sudo howdy addto add a new face).
- Awkward to configure.
sudo howdy configopens nano with the config file.
- Precise. I've added 5 face models of myself because it apparently doesn't recognize me in different lighting conditions.
- Not perfect. On Plasma 5.18.5, Howdy cannot unlock my laptop from the lock screen.
- Handy. For commands requiring sudo, Howdy can authenticate me in a second. Much better than typing a lengthy password.
- Universally usable. When I still ran Windows on my laptop, I couldn't use Hello, presumably due to the lack of an IR camera. Howdy never complained.