So I'm one of "those guys"..?

Freepoorman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I'm glad to be here learning as much as I can.. I was raised as a Windows user and I started hating the operating system lately (5 years ago about) when it became mostly bloatware. I never learned Linux, but I can still get around on a DOS pc.. So honestly I want to follow everyone's advice and start with a distro like katoolin3, but all other distros except Kali just bore me too much to want to put myself through a steep learning curve.. I have Kali on a VM via virtual box at the moment and I admit I am struggling a bit, but I'm using ChatGPT as a tutor and that helps. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself, and promise all of you that If I absolutely need advice, I wouldn't expect anything more than the vaguest of answers. ...as long as I have a direction to move towards I'll get there eventually. I'm mostly here to read anyway

Hello @Freepoorman
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, Kali is a hard one to start with. So you can expect problems in the learning curve. Most of us here advise you start with another Distro to get your feet wet first. But if your determined then this page may give you some basics that should be helpful.

Last edited:
Hello @Freepoorman
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, Kali is a hard one to start with. So you can expect problems in the learning curve. Most of us here advise you start with another Distro to get your feet wet first. But if your determined the this page may give you some basics that should be helpful.
Thank you, this is very useful indeed

@Freepoorman
Kali is Debian based distro, it was first called Backtrack but later renamed to Kali.

I suggest you to learn linux by installing and using Debian then you shall have solid foundations to start using Kali.
If you're seriously interested in hacking then I suggest you to start learning programming low level languages such as assembly, C and C++.
Having solid foundations in programming you should find hacking much easier to understand and practice.

Keep in mind though, it's a long journey that will take years of dedication.

Thanks I'm learning Python at the moment, it's going to be useful to me in more ways than just hacking. Unfortunately I ran into a wall on my hacking journey using Kali on VM anyway, I need to buy an external wireless adapter before I can do what I want... I'll be looking into parrot but most likely I'll get BBQLinux so that I can start developing android apps and practice my programming skills...

I need to buy an external wireless adapter before I can do what I want
Taiwanese Alfa cards are your best bet.

I'm learning Python at the moment
Learning your first language takes much more time than learning additional languages, it's your choice what your learn but one benefit of knowing how CPU instructions work and how stuff works at the lowest level is knowing how every programming language and systems work, it should make learning new languages so much easier and faster.

Python is great to make programs fast but will not help you understand how computers work.

Unfortunately I ran into a wall on my hacking journey using Kali on VM anyway, I need to buy an external wireless adapter before I can do what I want... I'll be looking into parrot
You will be welcome, but I suggest you start with Parrot home edition [the tools can be added when you feel comfortable] or you could move on to Parotsec or even Hack the box if you want accredited training

Taiwanese Alfa cards are your best bet.

Learning your first language takes much more time than learning additional languages, it's your choice what your learn but one benefit of knowing how CPU instructions work and how stuff works at the lowest level is knowing how every programming language and systems work, it should make learning new languages so much easier and faster.

Python is great to make programs fast but will not help you understand how computers work.
I appreciate this information. Yes Python is much simpler and that's partly why I chose it as my first language. Taking into regard what you said about learning how computers work and how the second language is easier to learn, I think I'll get into C++ next. Right now I'm looking forward to putting what I learn into results

Staff online

Members online