So..... I'm going to do it.......

B

blackneos940

I want to.... Host a Linux Install-Fest, right in my own town..... :) The funny thing is, that in Microsoft's video, "A Few Perspectives of Open Office", someone in a School District from HERE, of all places, spoke badly about Open Source..... So I want to organize an event..... And since I've been DOXed before, I'll just post where I live in Binary..... It's 01001011 01100101 01110010 01101110 01100101 01110010 01110011 01110110 01101001 01101100 01101100 01100101 00101100 00100000 01001110 01000011..... Er..... Just use an online ASCII to Binary converter, and you'll get it..... :) So what do you guys think.....? Does anyone live near here.....? I know Redhat is in Raleigh (much wow, such Linux)..... :3 I just need some tips so I don't do this half-baked..... Also, I saw a Bing truck pass through, possibly for their Geo-Map Tool thingy..... :3 Anyway, thanks for any suggestions/ideas guys..... :D

I want to.... Host a Linux Install-Fest, right in my own town..... :) The funny thing is, that in Microsoft's video, "A Few Perspectives of Open Office", someone in a School District from HERE, of all places, spoke badly about Open Source..... So I want to organize an event..... And since I've been DOXed before, I'll just post where I live in Binary..... It's 01001011 01100101 01110010 01101110 01100101 01110010 01110011 01110110 01101001 01101100 01101100 01100101 00101100 00100000 01001110 01000011..... Er..... Just use an online ASCII to Binary converter, and you'll get it..... :) So what do you guys think.....? Does anyone live near here.....? I know Redhat is in Raleigh (much wow, such Linux)..... :3 I just need some tips so I don't do this half-baked..... Also, I saw a Bing truck pass through, possibly for their Geo-Map Tool thingy..... :3 Anyway, thanks for any suggestions/ideas guys..... :D

I see you posted this in January, I hope this isn't too late for you, but I have done several Installfests and would be glad to be a resource.
This web page has been a great resource for Nathan Haines and I when we have done this at the OCLUG in Orange County.
I just found out that I can't post a link 'cause I haven't been here four (4) times. So you can do a google search and search on "installfest-HoWTO" and look for the one posted by "The Linux Document Project org" They are listed as "tldp"
The data sheet and the legal disclaimer sheet are important. It is surprising how people come to the event and don't seem to "get it" that their current OS will be gone, or may be different, or may not work right again and get VERY upset.
Let me know if I can help further.
You can also search on my name and contact me if you wish.

I see you posted this in January, I hope this isn't too late for you, but I have done several Installfests and would be glad to be a resource.
This web page has been a great resource for Nathan Haines and I when we have done this at the OCLUG in Orange County.
I just found out that I can't post a link 'cause I haven't been here four (4) times. So you can do a google search and search on "installfest-HoWTO" and look for the one posted by "The Linux Document Project org" They are listed as "tldp"
The data sheet and the legal disclaimer sheet are important. It is surprising how people come to the event and don't seem to "get it" that their current OS will be gone, or may be different, or may not work right again and get VERY upset.
Let me know if I can help further.
You can also search on my name and contact me if you wish.
Huh..... To be honest, it kind of slipped my Mind....... Months of depression, anxiety, studying Programming, amongst other things, might have done that..... :p I've got Autism, so that stuff kinda' comes with the territory..... :) However.... I could use your help..... :) Two of my Laptops that run Linux either have a broken Charger, or a malfunctioning Battery..... :\ And the things that DO work are a Surface RT that someone got me for Christmas, and a ASUS that won't run Linux, due to the CPU, I think..... :( Man, it's like Windows is HAUNTING me...... :\ Anywho..... Even though I said I could use your help, I'm..... Not so sure I could pull something like this off.... Plus, the face that I would NEED a disclaimer, as logical as that would seem, kind of scares me.... :( I'm not so sure I want to even START any events now....... :( *shudder*

Well blackneos940, I certainly understand. I have been there. I don't have autisim, but I have certainly been depressed before. Not a problem.
First of all. Let's take care of the power supplies for the laptops. Are those working right now? Have you got replacements? What make and models are the laptops?
As to the installfest, a disclaimer up front precludes a lot of problems. The best thing you can do is to be upfront with people. Say: "Hey, this is a free service to you. We'll do the best we can, but things CAN sometimes go wrong. You understand, right?" "Great!, sign here please!"
The ones that understand will sign, no problem. The ones that won't will go away, no problem! :)
The other biggest thing you can do is to make sure to have several volunteers and/or to get a LUG to do the project. That you would be best.
Let me know if i can help further.

Well blackneos940, I certainly understand. I have been there. I don't have autisim, but I have certainly been depressed before. Not a problem.
First of all. Let's take care of the power supplies for the laptops. Are those working right now? Have you got replacements? What make and models are the laptops?
As to the installfest, a disclaimer up front precludes a lot of problems. The best thing you can do is to be upfront with people. Say: "Hey, this is a free service to you. We'll do the best we can, but things CAN sometimes go wrong. You understand, right?" "Great!, sign here please!"
The ones that understand will sign, no problem. The ones that won't will go away, no problem! :)
The other biggest thing you can do is to make sure to have several volunteers and/or to get a LUG to do the project. That you would be best.

Yeah..... EVERYONE understands Depression..... :) It helps a lot that we know what it's like, so we can better Empathize with OTHERS....... :D THANK you for understanding what I meant, though..... :) Well, no, my Acer Chromebook C720 has a damaged Charger (but it works [if I set it JUUUUST right]), and my Dell Inspiron 1420 has a bad Battery.... (I.E., dead....... :() I have a Charger for it, though, so it's basically like a Desktop now..... Only one I can carry WITH me....... :3 And I've got no Money to replace them, so..... But I DO have someone who wants me to put Linux on his Tower for 20 Bucks, so MAYBE I can..... :) Maybe....... Actually, when you put it that way, the Disclaimer actually doesn't sound SO bad..... :) Ok then, I'll try to contact some LUGs, and see where I go from there..... See what I did there.....? LUGs........? :3

Yeah..... EVERYONE understands Depression..... :) It helps a lot that we know what it's like, so we can better Empathize with OTHERS....... :D THANK you for understanding what I meant, though..... :) Well, no, my Acer Chromebook C720 has a damaged Charger (but it works [if I set it JUUUUST right]), and my Dell Inspiron 1420 has a bad Battery.... (I.E., dead....... :() I have a Charger for it, though, so it's basically like a Desktop now..... Only one I can carry WITH me....... :3 And I've got no Money to replace them, so..... But I DO have someone who wants me to put Linux on his Tower for 20 Bucks, so MAYBE I can..... :) Maybe....... Actually, when you put it that way, the Disclaimer actually doesn't sound SO bad..... :) Ok then, I'll try to contact some LUGs, and see where I go from there..... See what I did there.....? LUGs........? :3

Great! Thanks for the reply! Another thing you can do is check the free bulletin boards (here we have Craig's List) and see if someone has a power supply for cheap. Or advertise the need for one.
Did you get the links for the "legal" paperwork for the installfest?

Great! Thanks for the reply! Another thing you can do is check the free bulletin boards (here we have Craig's List) and see if someone has a power supply for cheap. Or advertise the need for one.
Did you get the links for the "legal" paperwork for the installfest?
Yeah..... :) I didn't get any links, but I'd sure like some..... :3 Thanks!..... ^^ Also, I LIKE Replyin' to people....... :3 Ok..... :) I'll look into Craigslist..... :D But I think I may have gotten the Battery thing taken care of..... :) Someone bought me one!..... ^^ Ok then, I'll let you know if I need anything else..... :3 So, how was your Day today.....? :3

Members online

Latest posts